Date:      Sun, 10 Oct 1999 09:19:28 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>, Eivind Eklund <eivind@freebsd.org>, "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, committers@freebsd.org, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/make.conf abuse

> One snag with that.  Sometimes a remedy for fixing a build problem is
>
>     # rm -rf /usr/src
>
> and start again.  I know that's probably ingrained in a lot of people's
> fingers, and they treat /usr/src as an expendable file system.  Suddenly
> we'll be putting a config file there.

Well, doing that will also blow awayt your carefully crafted
KERNEL file. That's why I put my kernel file into /usr/<mumble>/KERNEL
and set a symlink so that blow-aways dont burn me. Perhaps the
/<mumble>/make.conf could use something similar?

> Perhaps /usr/local/etc/make.conf would be better?  Or at least a variable
> (which can be defined in /etc/make.conf) which points to the file, so that
> the admin can easily set local policy.

I dont like the use of /usr/local for this; that is ports' property.

Mark Murray