Date:      Sun, 10 Oct 1999 09:49:31 +0200
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        julian@whistle.com
Cc:        aron@cs.rice.edu, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, justin@apple.com, alc@cs.rice.edu, wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu
Subject:   Re: arp errors on machines with two interfaces

> He does have a point however.. ARP packets that are not for the networks
> that are on teh receiving NIC could probably be safely discarded without
> effecting the way that the system supports the spec. I think it's vague on
> this point, and we SEE that other people do similar. I would actually
> thinkmthat it would be a security imporovement.
> I don't think we should accept cofiguration or routing information from
> machines that are not on the right network.
>
> If I had one net inside a firewall and one outside, I don't want to
> recieve ARP packets from the outside that are influencing my internal
> routint (arp) table.

If I had one inside net and one outside net connected to the same
switch, and *no* VLAN or segmentation on the switch (due to some kind
of switch misconfiguration), I certainly would like FreeBSD to tell
me about this misconfiguration - for instance by a suitable ARP error
messge.

(This is not just theoretical. I've seen organizations buy an expensive
firewall, only to connect both the inside and outside nets to the same
hub!)