Date:      Sun, 21 Feb 1999 15:05:58 +0100 (CET)
From:      Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Preferred readings for newbees

 Hello to you!

I'm a (German) Linux user and UNIX lover wanting to move to
FreeBSD.  I've been using Linux since July '92 at home and I
occasionally used (but never maintained) SunOS, HP-UX, AIX, QNX
and Ultrix.  Since I completed studying computer science I claim
for myself to know about the general way things go in UNIX.

I had a glimpse at FreeBSD versions 2.1.5, 2.2.1, 2.2.5 and
2.2.7, but since I missed some important functionality (namely
ISDN support), was never really acquainted with the FreeBSD
way of doing things and never had a spare machine to keep the
installations, I couldn't look into things somewhat deeper
(IOW -- I always fell back to the system I was familiar with).
Now that I got 3.0 (waiting for 3.1 to arrive here) I'm willing
to dive into your system.  I scanned the FAQs and (really) read
the Handbook.  And I know how to handle Manpages.  Now I learned
about Greg Lehey's "Complete FreeBSD" and that it's available in
the second edition.  The third edition is in progress but will
take quite some time to be released.  So here's my question:

Is there too big a difference between 2.2.x and 3.x to take
away much of the book's advantage for me as a newbee?  What else
documents could I read waiting for the third edition (in case of
online docs I prefer tarballs I can install locally due to the
telcos' pricing sheme here in Germany :> ).  Are there lists of
user groups I can scan for a regional partner?  When only I knew
what I was looking for, I could use the known methods to get
some info ("want to setup DNS? -> do THIS ...").  But I guess I
need a todo list of typical jobs or opportunities of somebody
being new to the system ("after installation you can ...").
You see:  I'm searching for an orientation ("looking for clues",
"get a grip", ...).

Thank you very much for your answers.  And please direct me
in the right direction in case I'm using the wrong forum for
my request.

Gerhard Sittig