Date:      Sun, 20 Jun 1999 11:21:50 -0400
From:      Natty Rebel <dervish@ikhala.tcimet.net>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: choice of a new SCSI drive?

Quoting David Kelly (dkelly@HiWAAY.net):
> Not much discussion here lately of what is going on in the SCSI market.
> Ordered a new MB today, an Asus P2B-S, with onboard Adaptec 7890 and
> 3860 after checking the archives confirming others have run same. MB was
> cheaper than an Adaptec 2940U2W PCI card by itself from most vendors.
> Only $200 more than the SCSI-less (but one PCI slot more) P2B-F.
>
> Is the 3860 an LVD "SCSI bridge" Adaptec uses to separate LVD and single
> ended, and run both on the same bus? Am downloading Asus' 11MB PDF
> manual at this moment so I might be answering my own question in a
> moment. A long moment at 28.8k.
>
> Would favor IBM or Seagate drives over anything else based on past
> performance. Actually less on performance performance and more on
> reliability performance. I don't want a 10k drive, partly for the noise.
> Partly for the heat. Would favor cool and quiet, as long as its
> reliable.
>
> Changed employers recently. Seems at my old job all my HD bookmarks
> listed LVD drives for less than non-LVD. That doesn't appear to be the
> case. Then after hearing it mentioned here and confirming it on IBM's
> site, it appears most LVD drives can fall back into single-ended mode?
> So maybe the market has wizened up learning they can use the latest LVD
> on the old controllers?
>
> A prime candidate HD for my new MB is at:
> http://www.onsale.com/category/inv/00037892/01605738.htm
>
> The is an "IBM ULTRASTAR 18ES 9.1GB HD U2SCSI 68-PIN 7200RPM LVD". For
> $350 (includes UPS ground shipping) it appears to be a good value.
Just to add more fuel to the fire, www.hypermicro.com has the same drive
for $289.00.  Someone else has mentioned them before on one of the lists
and so far I haven't found anyone that beats their price.  I have not
purchased anything from them yet, but if I recall the person who mentioned
them had no complaints.  I just went to a show in my area (East Lansing, MI)
and some of the vendors were approaching hypermicros prices (the price
difference was $20 - $40)  Again this is FYI ...

> Among other nice things it has a 2MB cache. A nasty thing about Onsale/
> AtCost is one can't get a straight answer as to the product's warranty,
> they link you to phone numbers where you can call the manufacturer and
> ask. IBM lists 5 years for over-the-counter drives. Seagate is well
> known for two warranty tiers, over-the-counter, and OEM. The OEM product
> is only warranted to the OEM. Its gotten so bad Seagate now has a serial
> number checker on their web site.
>
> A good thing about Onsale is I've dealt with them before and don't
> believe they would simply pocket my credit card number and jump across
> the border. A bad thing is all my credit cards have sent me those awful
> addendums stating they won't go to battle for me against the vendor if
> the purchase was made over 100 miles from my billing address.
>
> For my purposes, LVD is overkill. But I sorta feel like treating myself
> to something excessive at the moment.
>
> Ay pointers to sources of internal LVD cables and terminators? Some
> vendors advertise the drives prominently but forget about the
> essentials.
>

> --
> David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@nospam.hiwaay.net
> The human mind ordinarily operates at only ten percent of its
> capacity -- the rest is overhead for the operating system.

#:^)
--
natty rebel
harder than the rest ...