Date:      Sun, 20 Aug 2000 15:41:17 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <fran@reyes.somos.net>
To:        "K" <contactk@hotmail.com>
Cc:        "Advocacy List" <freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Freebsd in the Enterprise world.

On Sat, 19 Aug 2000 05:26:48 -0700, K wrote:

>We're setting up an enterprise environment and so of course we'll be using
>shared storage (Symmetrix) products from EMC.

This is one thing I discussed some weeks back on an Egroups list
I formed to discuss BSD in the corporate/organization
environment. I had a simmilar situtation in that I wanted to use
a shared external SCSI box on FreeBSD. I found a way to get
around it, but such support simply is not there for FreeBSD.

The longer I use FreeBSD at work the more sadden I get in that
FreeBSD seems more like an ISP/Internet OS. The type of things
needed in corporations are just not there.

>we must use Solaris.

I also ended up having to run part of the things I needed to run
on Solaris. On my case it was due to Sendmail Switch not been
available for FreeBSD.

>In any event, I urge all of you that give the slightest damn about FreeBSD
>having any kind of place in the enterprise world to contact EMC and ask them
>to *register* your request for FreeBSD support.

We could, but I  doubt it would do much. About the best thing
that could happen is if a competitor came up with something..
then they would listen.

>in support for FreeBSD in Enterprise environments are being removed.

Very slowly.

francisco
Moderator of the Corporate BSD list
http://www.egroups.com/group/BSD_Corporate