Date:      Sun, 12 Mar 2000 06:11:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      ai@gmx.net
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   bin/17338: netstat shows down counting UDP delivery stats

>Number:         17338
>Category:       bin
>Synopsis:       netstat shows down counting UDP delivery stats
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
Hi

I'm using this box to route several networks over nine SMC Etherpower II NICs,
so that several UDP packets pass the box. When I try to see how many UDP
packets have been delivered I see a UDP delivery counter which is counting
down! On all other BSD boxes I have this counter is getting more not less.

Look at that:
# while true ; do netstat -ss -p udp | grep deli ; sleep 1 ; done
        4292032523 delivered
        4292032521 delivered
        4292032519 delivered
        4292032519 delivered
        4292032519 delivered
        4292032510 delivered
        4292032507 delivered
        4292032507 delivered
        4292032501 delivered
        4292032495 delivered
        4292032488 delivered
        4292032485 delivered
        4292032485 delivered

Strange?
>How-To-Repeat:
while true ; do netstat -ss -p udp | grep deli ; sleep 1 ; done
>Fix:
I had the same problem on NetApp Fliers with the network packet counter.
They have tool to zero the stats if they overrun the buffer after several
days of high traffic. It would be very usefull to implement such a tool.