Date:      Sun, 26 Nov 2000 14:44:46 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jim Weeks <jim@siteplus.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   apache-ssl-php4-fp solution

I will preface this by saying I am no authority in this field, but I
have seen a few posts on this subject and hope this may help someone
else in a simular situation.

To the matter at hand.  I had several production servers running
3.X-stable. All of these were running apache-ssl-php3-frontpage with php3
and frontpage compiled into the binary and ssl as DSO. This presented a
problem in upgrading to php4.  You may have noticed that there are a lot
of new DSO modules in /usr/ports/www.  The problem is that some, such as
mod_ssl, are  only available from RELENG_4, and seem to be 4.X dependent.

After building Apache a *lot* of different ways, including from
source, I have come to this conclusion.  This task can be done easily with
the ports collection, even for the 3.X platform.

First, you must download and install the FreeBSD version of frontpage
extensions into /usr/local.  They may be found at,
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/languages/fp/2000/unixfpse.asp

Now, we can easily adapt /usr/ports/www/apache13-modssl.  This can be done
by copying two files already present on the machine and making one entry
in the Makefile.  Php4 "/usr/ports/www/mod_php4" can be added after apache
has been compiled.

The first file:

Copy the apache frontpage patch "fp-patch-apache_1.3.12" from
/usr/local/frontpage/version4.0/apache-fp/ to
/usr/ports/www/apache13-modssl/files/ and rename it patch-aj

The second file:

$ cd /usr/ports/www/apache13-modssl
$ cp ../apache13-fp/files/mod_frontpage.c \
> files/mod_frontpage.c

Edit the Makefile:

Place "--add-module=mod_frontpage.c" near the bottom of the CONFIGURE_ARGS
section.

Mine looks like this.

CONFIGURE_ARGS= --prefix=${PREFIX} \
                --server-gid=nogroup \
                --with-perl=${PERL} \
                --with-layout=${FILESDIR}/FreeBSD.layout:FreeBSD \
                --suexec-docroot=${PREFIX}/www/data \
                --without-confadjust \
                --enable-module=most \
                --enable-module=auth_db \
                --enable-module=mmap_static \
                --disable-module=auth_dbm \
                --enable-shared=max \
                --enable-module=ssl \
                --add-module=mod_frontpage.c \
                --enable-module=define

Finish up:

$ make
$ make certificate
$ make install
$ make clean

$ cd ../mod_php4
$ make
$ make install
$ make clean

Appropriate entries for enabling mod_php4 will automatically be added to
httpd.conf when the module is built.  You may need to add frontpage
yourself.  Just add "AddModule mod_frontpage.c" to the AddModule list.

Good luck,

--
Jim Weeks