Date:      19 Mar 2000 13:56:26 +0100
From:      naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: controller

Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net> wrote:

> I've decided to get myself a couple of the new IBM 18G LVD scsi drives, to
> push away the storage demon (demon, NOT daemon!) a couple more
> years.  Seeing as I'm going LVD in a big way, I can't hold on to my
> current controller, an NCR875.  Anyone got an idea what's the best current
> mfr/model for a reasonably good LVD controller?

Any of the various manufacturers using NCR^WSym^WLSI chips.
Personally I'd pick up a Tekram 390U2W. Equivalent adapters are
available from at least Symbios Logic and Dawicontriol. Tekram also
has a dual channel adapter in the pipe, according to their CeBIT
display. Symbios already ships one.

Tekram mentions FreeBSD support on the box and they also offer
FreeBSD drivers, although you simply want to use the sym one for
their 390F and 390U2W adapters.

> I just want the model name, I'll worry about finding the deal myself
> (unless you have it right at hand).

I'd happily point you to a store, but I suspect we're on different
continents.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de