Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 2001 01:57:05 +1300
From:      Craig Harding <crh@outpost.co.nz>
To:        emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Status of Linux upgrade

[I've only just joined this list, forgive me if this is current or
recent discussion, I have checked the mail archives for background and
didn't see anything directly relevant]

I was wondering if any work was being done on upgrading the Linux
emulation from its current RedHat 6.1 base to something more recent?

Alternatively, could anyone give me some pointers on what would be
involved in upgrading some of the libraries in an existing 6.1
installation to current versions? Specifically,
(/compat/linux)/lib/libpthread-0.8.so?

The reason I ask is that I admin (among other things) a FreeBSD 4.2S
machine running a Counter-Strike game server. For those unfamiliar, this
uses the linux Halflife dedicated server, which runs quite nicely under
linux emulation on FreeBSD.

Unfortunately, the Counter-Strike community is rife with cheating, which
Valve (HL Authors) and the Counter-Strike developers have only been
marginally effective in combatting.

An independent team have developed a simple Client/Server system called
PunkBuster (http://www.punkbuster.com) which, rather than preventing
cheats directly, merely looks for their signature on client machines
(ala virus scanners) and automatically kicks players who are found to be
using cheats.

The system is still in beta, and the PB developers originally only
released a Windows server, which caused great concern to those of us
running HL on unix servers who didn't find the thought of setting up a
separate Win XX machine just for PB particularly attractive. In January
they released a linux port which has been in a fairly dynamic state as
the developers come to grips with unix programming.

The problem is one particularly constant bug in the PB server - on
FreeBSD systems (and I have now discovered apparently on Redhat 6.1 &
6.2) the server generates 4 zombie processes for every HL player not
running the PB client, per 30min map cycle. Eventually (within 24hrs
usually) the machine will run out of process table space and fail in
various exciting ways.

The PB server is implemented using pthreads and my very strong suspicion
is that some flaw in the libpthread-0.8.so library in RH6.[12] (and
therefore FBSD) is at fault. The server does run successfully without
zombification problems on RH7.

I would like to try using a newer libpthread to see if this fixes the
problem, I know RH7 appears to use 0.9 but my various naive attempts at
upgrading the Linuxilator libraries have been spectacularly
unsuccessful.

Are there any documents/guides anyone can point me to that
demonstrates/explains/suggests how to do this in a way that still leaves
a working Linux emulation?

Guru assistance would be muchly appreciated.

						-- C.

PS why is RPM such an irritating system for extracting individual
files?! Am I doing something completely wrong?