Date:      Sun, 20 May 2001 23:08:08 +0200
From:      Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
To:        "Richard E. Hawkins" <dochawk@psu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ready to pull my hair out over networking under vmware

Thus spake Richard E. Hawkins (dochawk@psu.edu):

> What in the world am I supposed to tell it?  All I want is for my
> virtual linux and win98 boxes to be able to see the outside world, adn
> for my virtual linux to be able to use my X display rather than its own.

For FreeBSD, it's so nice to just choose an unused network (I used
10.0.0.0), enable netgraph bridging using this network (you have to
edit the vmware config file though) and then, in VMWare, use hostonly
networking.

You can then set the IP of your guest-os as if it was physically on
the local network.

Thanks to Chris for telling me this as well some weeks ago. :-)

Alex

PS: This are the important parts of my config:

zerogravity% less vmware/config
vmware.fullpath = "/usr/local/lib/vmware/bin/vmware"
wizard.fullpath = "/usr/local/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-wizard"
dhcpd.fullpath = "/usr/local/lib/vmware/bin/vmnet-dhcpd"
loop.fullpath = ""/usr/local/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-loop"
libdir = "/usr/local/lib/vmware/lib"
vmnet1.HostOnlyAddress = "10.0.0.1"
vmnet1.HostOnlyNetMask = "255.255.255.0"

and in rc.d/vmware.sh I use:

networking=1
bridged=YES
bridge_interface=xl0