Date:      Sun, 18 Nov 2001 18:53:22 -0800
From:      "Craig R" <craigery13@hotmail.com>
To:        sos@freebsd.dk
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   VIA VT8233 ATA driver

(This is mainly for Søren Schmidt, but I am CC'ing it to hardware@ for
others to read)

Søren,

A while back (not sure when exactly) another fellow said that his VIA ATA
controller was not supported in FreeBSD. I have a similar controller to him,
but mine is a VIA VT8233. I've been having problems in 4.4-STABLE (Nov 14)
with reading both data and music CD's. The devices probe Ok, and the
harddrive works fine, even at UDMA100, so it appears to be CDROM specific.
In 5.0-CURRENT, CDs work fine, except for RockRidge CD's (which I assume is
a filesystem driver issue in -current). I would just run 5.0, except that
there are of course other things which are totally busted. If you would like
me to send any system info (dmesg, pciconf, etc) I will gladly do so. I
basically cannot use FreeBSD until I get these CDROMs working, and I am
getting sick of Windows 98 already. Thank you for your time, and I will be
more than happy to help you get a driver working (if you want to that is
:-).

-Craig