Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2001 00:00:00 -0500
From:      The Anarcat <anarcat@anarcat.dyndns.org>
To:        Libh <freebsd-libh@freebsd.org>
Subject:   package tools

--FL5UXtIhxfXey3p5

Hi!

I'm looking around the package stuff of libh, and it looks good! I've
experimented a bit with the pkg_install, create_db and friends,
basically.

A few random things:

1- we should start to hardcode the db path (/var/db/hpkg?)

We could keep an option to give an alternate, but at least provide a
default for the clueless or lazy. :)

I think we'll have to have some kind of included file that will define
stuff as this path, and create the db there if not created. I'm not sure
where this belongs. Probably in libsysinstall.

2- Why "SYSINSTALL/" as meta-info directory? I mean, it's a bikeshed but
sysinstall is the installation program, which is not necessary related
to the package facilities. Is it realistic at all to challenge that
convention? Might as well change it now, if it is. I suggest a name less
"accessible", something like +hpkg/ or some evil-looking name, in order
for people to think twice before hacking around this.

3- I will probably start working on basic package tools implementation
(pkg_*) to be complete before starting to work on a GUI. In other words,
I'll be hacking on pkgtools. In other words, I'm asking for
advice/permission/gotcha, etc. :)

4- Have anyone explored the problems of libh/ports system interaction?
For example, how to handle @exec directives, or other @* directives from
pkg_create?

Anyways, can we *hope* to have a pkg_create wrapper for libh? Is it
possible, using libh's format, to reimplement pkg_create?

In the same vein, can we request libh's package tools to operate on or read
from /usr/ports[/INDEX] like pkg_version or portupgrade does???

I guess that's enough for now. ;)

A.

--FL5UXtIhxfXey3p5

--FL5UXtIhxfXey3p5--