From owner-freebsd-newbies Sun Mar 25 2:46:49 2001 Delivered-To: freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org Received: from mail.freebsd-corp-net-guide.com (mail.freebsd-corp-net-guide.com [206.29.169.15]) by hub.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id 1AA5937B71A for ; Sun, 25 Mar 2001 02:46:44 -0800 (PST) (envelope-from tedm@toybox.placo.com) Received: from tedm.placo.com (nat-rtr.freebsd-corp-net-guide.com [206.29.168.154]) by mail.freebsd-corp-net-guide.com (8.11.1/8.11.1) with SMTP id f2PAkck40821; Sun, 25 Mar 2001 02:46:38 -0800 (PST) (envelope-from tedm@toybox.placo.com) From: "Ted Mittelstaedt" To: "Laurence Berland" Cc: "lists" , Subject: RE: FreeBSD & GNU Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 02:46:36 -0800 Message-ID: <004101c0b518$dd9bed40$1401a8c0@tedm.placo.com> MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Priority: 3 (Normal) X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook 8.5, Build 4.71.2173.0 X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V4.72.3155.0 Importance: Normal In-Reply-To: <3ABD92F2.2355C13A@confusion.net> Sender: owner-freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG Precedence: bulk X-Loop: FreeBSD.org >-----Original Message----- >From: Laurence Berland [mailto:stuyman@confusion.net] >> http://www.apple.com/macosx/ >> >> It is built from a mix of NEXT code and FreeBSD 3.2, see >> >> http://www.apple.com/darwin/ >> > >I think there's also some NetBSD in there at some point, and lest we >forget, via NeXT we get Mach. > That may be but Apple only specifically listed FreeBSD 3.2 and NeXT. NetBSD was not mentioned. I believe this is on the Darwin site (which is down right now so I can't verify it) >> source code. It was turned into a juggernaut because the PC community >> decided >> for a number of reasons (cost, marketing, features, etc.) to >standardize on >> it. >> > >Part of this, of course, has to do with Gates's ruthless (and >unethical/illegal) business practices. > I agree his tactics are illegal, but it takes two to tango. The consumers did make a choice to use Windows. Many other people do illegal and ruthless marketing, and even after years of it they are still getting nowhere. What really separates Microsoft from most companies is that they _didn't_have_ to do all the illegal and ruthless marketing yet still did it anyway. All of the illegal marketing has probably only taken them from 80% market penetration to 90% market penetration, and it has generated a huge list of enemies. In fact, of all the problems of Microsoft, this one thing is their achillies heel. If they had just done what they did and not done any of the illegal marketing tactics, but instead made friends, then all hope would be lost, they would have a monopoly, and nobody would support dislodging them. > >Standardization isn't always bad. FreeBSD would tend not to stagnate I >suspect, because the people writing it are also some of the people using >it. They want new features, they write new features. Open source >publicly developed software is much more resistive to this effect. > >Also note, I think it's sad that people are so shortsighted and selfish >to not spend the ten dollars and save the salmon. > It's even worse that the utilities just don't bundle in the cost of saving the fish to ALL consumers. I live in Oregon and this is a serious issue up here. Due to the drought BPA is going to lower stream flows and kill this years salmon run this summer. It's either that or rolling blackouts. If the utilities here had been working on alternative power over the last 10 years like they should have been doing, we would have the extra generating capacity to bring online and the BPA wouldn't have had to do this. If anyone ever tells you that Oregon is this ecology-friendly state, tell them they are full of bullshit. That's the biggest load of crap there is. When it because obvious that it was either fish or risking blackouts, there wasn't a seconds hesitation, they killed the fish. The rights of businesses here are paramount. There wasn't even a big hue and cry over it. > >At least in the server market. I suspect desktop transitions will be >more gradual. > No, it will be worse because many business still haven't upgraded from Windows 95. In fact, businesses are the ones with the tight license control, and stand to gain the largest dollar amount by not purchasing new licenses. Also, businesses can purchase Microsoft Site licenses in volume which sell the OS at a much cheaper dollar rate and have other benefits to boot. > >Ps: I'm sure you know, but the chapter of the book in DN is still >incomplete. I presume it's your publisher, and not you, who has the >problem. > Unfortunately there's plenty of blame to go around on that one. Yes, the publisher shipped out a corrupted chapter file. Nobody from DN let me know about it, I had to find that out myself. I e-mailed DN about it within 4 hours of the article being posted. I sent complete HTML a week later. Unfortunately, my HTML was horrible, as it came from a HTML converter on my masters and lacked drawings. DN was working on fixing it up. But, I think they have been working on it less and less. I now have the production masters but they are in Quark, and Quark can't save-as-HTML, so converting it that way is just as bad. I'm going to attempt a print-to-EPS-read-with -ghostview-convert-to-html kind of business next and see what I get. Death to Quark! The upshot of all of it is that despite all of the work done with HTML and XML and all of those good things with document preparation, they have all pretty much been lost on the print publishing industry, which is still grappling with this entire business of electronic document handling. Even within publishers, there's not a standard for electronic docs. The production department likes using Quark because their printer can understand it. But, none of the the proofreaders they use has it, and the editorial staff all seems to not have it either. One of my first questions was "what is the preferred document format" well there is no preferred document format because they have solved that problem - they use paper, and are still shipping author's manuscripts around the country _on_paper_. I originally submitted the manuscript via FTP - and this was a big problem. All proofreading and corrections were done _by hand_. FedEX, Willamette Paper, and HP Toner sales all made a lot of money off of us. I just crossed my fingers and hoped that none of the packages got lost, and fortunately none did. At least, though, their production department has gotten smart enough to include all the fonts when they ship out the document and they use honest-to-God Adobe fonts, not that TrueType trash. Ted Mittelstaedt tedm@toybox.placo.com Author of: The FreeBSD Corporate Networker's Guide Book website: http://www.freebsd-corp-net-guide.com To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org with "unsubscribe freebsd-newbies" in the body of the message From owner-freebsd-newbies Sun Mar 25 3:46: 7 2001 Delivered-To: freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org Received: from mail.freebsd-corp-net-guide.com (mail.freebsd-corp-net-guide.com [206.29.169.15]) by hub.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id AEC0937B719 for ; Sun, 25 Mar 2001 03:45:50 -0800 (PST) (envelope-from tedm@toybox.placo.com) Received: from tedm.placo.com (nat-rtr.freebsd-corp-net-guide.com [206.29.168.154]) by mail.freebsd-corp-net-guide.com (8.11.1/8.11.1) with SMTP id f2PBjmk40920; Sun, 25 Mar 2001 03:45:48 -0800 (PST) (envelope-from tedm@toybox.placo.com) From: "Ted Mittelstaedt" To: "lists" Cc: Subject: RE: FreeBSD & GNU Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 03:45:46 -0800 Message-ID: <004201c0b521$2192f040$1401a8c0@tedm.placo.com> MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Priority: 3 (Normal) X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook 8.5, Build 4.71.2173.0 X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V4.72.3155.0 Importance: Normal In-Reply-To: Sender: owner-freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG Precedence: bulk X-Loop: FreeBSD.org >-----Original Message----- >From: lists [mailto:lists@vivdev.com] >> > >OK, but how would anyone take control of the source in the case of FreeBSD? >In the case if FreeBSD, the source is a bunch of volunteers? > You just answered your own question - "as long as the source is a bunch of volunteers" Who just announced recently they were synchronizing their _commercial_ operating system code to FreeBSD? Well, it's BSDi, who also owns Walnut Creek, the major FreeBSD distributor. In a few years, the source won't all be volunteers. Now, so far there's been no incidents of BSDi going to the FreeBSD project and saying "Don't make that change in the kernel there because if you do and we make it then it will break all our commercial users" Hopefully that day will never come, and BSDi will be wise enough to stay out of the Project in these instances. But, there's a lot of crossover of employees at BSDi and contributors to the Project. There are certainly going to be instances where this will create conflicts of interest on some technical decisions. While, at the current time I don't feel that any of the core FreeBSD Project members would be influenced by such conflicts, nobody knows what the future will bring, and it's always a risk to set up these types of environments where there's a lot of corporate influence. >> >>In the history of marketing, there's never been a single source supplier >>that has lasted for more than a blink of an eye, just due to this issue. > >Maybe. How about Ma Bell? Didn't die due to lack of standardization. >Died when the monopoly, which was underpinned by protected proprietary >technology, was dismantled. > Ma Bell was selling a product, dialtone, that for nearly 80 years was very much like electricity in that it was pretty much unchanging. As such, the market could tolerate the lack of innovation, since really there wasn't anything to innovate. What set the seeds for Bell's destruction, ironically, was the invention of the transistor by Bell Labs. With modern electronics, it became possible to cheaply and rapidly make all sorts of new consumer telephone devices. The first cracks appeared when people attempted to plug in these new devices and were told by Bell that they wern't allowed to do it. The market revolted and forced Ma Bell out of home ownership of the telephone. (that was a significant concession of their market, if you think about it) The transistor also permitted modern, reliable and cheap phone switches which allowed the competitive long distance carriers to take hold and once again the market revolted when Ma Bell attempted to block them, the result was the lawsuit. >What you are describing is a situation where one proprietary product has >reached it's market potential and then is outmoded by a newer, more >competitive product. I don't see how this supports your argument. > The catch-22 is that the newer more competitive product is only competitive precisely because it's NOT the institutionalized standard. The process of becoming the standard makes it non-competitive. Your getting hung up in the idea that it's the proprietaryness that makes a product non-competitive, and this simply isn't true. It's the institutionalizing that makes it non-competitive. For example, take Sendmail. For years Sendmail was the only game in town in terms of MTA's But, it became institutionalized, and as such they didn't drop the obscuficated sendmail.cf config file syntax even when the original reasons for having such syntax (speed of loading, etc) no longer were true. In fast, instead of dumping sendmail.cf, they just applied even more layering to harden the dependence on sendmail.cf As a result, people started putting effort into qmail, and other MTA's, and now those MTA's are taking more and more market share from Sendmail. Further, more significantly, products like qmail now have mySQL support, Sendmail doesen't, better and more integrated spam filtering, and a number of other features. All they lack is the track record to be truly proven out like Sendmail is. But, they are ahead in the technical aspect, and are increasing in share within the UNIX market. >Also, in the space you are describing, shouldn't there be sun and hp >machines? How do these offerings mix? The other thing is that the UNIX >they are turning to now includes Linux and BSD, doesn't it? Btw, what is >the status of vanilla UNIX? > Keep in mind that I'm only outlining a projection of what MIGHT happen, there's no guarentee that it WILL happen. It's perfectly possible that Open Source is such a fundamentally different means of software creation and distribution that none of the older marketing rules apply, and as such history can't repeat, because this hasn't been done in history before. In fact, I even make that argument in my book. I'm lumping all UNIX together, both commercial and Open Source, because I'm talking about general trends. I feel in my bones that the wind is changing again and that corporate interests are much more open now to considering UNIX instead of blindly swallowing Windows. But, many will never be open to Open Source, and will wish to continue to get those "commercial" systems, even UNIX, and so Sun and HP and Compaq will have lots to do making products for those folks. As far as Vanilla UNIX goes, today there's only 2 kinds of UNIXes - those blessed by The Open Group (since they own the trademark to UNIX) as being Real UNIX, and to get that you have to pay a big fee and implement a bunch of standards that nobody uses in your UNIX. The other are the non-UNIX UNIXes, like FreeBSD and Linux, which can't legally be branded UNIX yet implement 80% of what TOG says a "Real UNIX" is supposed to have. >Is NT a dominant player in that market? Seemed late to the party, not >better, and frequently to disappoint it's customers. > NT/2K is _the_ dominent player in mid-level servers today with Linux a close second. > >Returning to software, aren't the variant forms of commercial linux supply >examples of a business model that uses the standardized software and >hardware to it's advantage in pursuing a very different business model? The penetration statistics of the various "brands" of Linux today are one of the more hotly debated arguments. I don't have an answer because I don't know if todays Linux market is that of one single monopolistic dominant player (ie: Red Hat) with a lot of smaller ones, or all of the brands have equal penetration. >And couldn't you argue that yahoo, for example, has created a massive OS >and suite of apps that are recognizable yet unique based on FreeBSD? Yes, I don't know if it's relevant, though. I'm not talking apps, I'm talking OS here. Btw, >what _does_ amazon run on? > >Microsoft's two main sources of revenue to this day are windows and office. >Without the ability to make products that are un-knockoffable due to >proprietary information that is not shared with third party (competitive) >developers, they would have _no means_ of enforcing their agreements with >Dell and others. > Part of this argument is the "DR-DOS" argument and it's been proven to be fallacious. DR.DOS was a clone of MS-DOS as you should know. The idea behind it was to make a competitive DOS to MS-DOS and price it cheaper and split the DOS market. It never worked because DR-DOS didn't offer any increased functionality over regular MS-DOS that was significant enough to induce people to switch. Because it was a clone it retained all of the bad parts of MS-DOS. Users all decided that for the slight benefit of a cheaper OS, that wasn't offset by the potential incomatability. In short, if your a user who has bought-off on the idea of running all your apps on DOS, then going the last 10 feet and purchasing the actual Real McCoy instead of the fake was the smart thing to do. Extrapolate this to be 2 competitve versions of Windows - the runner-up would probably fail for the same reasons. You are right about one thing - the competitive edge to the Office suite, though. Clearly, withholding details that would help Office's competitors certainly does indicate that Microsoft is actually treating both the OS and the Application as a single product. This means that out of the desktop PC software market, the actual coverage of the single windows/Office product is far larger. That weakens their argument that they are not a monopoly. Ted Mittelstaedt tedm@toybox.placo.com Author of: The FreeBSD Corporate Networker's Guide Book website: http://www.freebsd-corp-net-guide.com To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org with "unsubscribe freebsd-newbies" in the body of the message From owner-freebsd-newbies Sun Mar 25 3:55:38 2001 Delivered-To: freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org Received: from hotmail.com (f181.law6.hotmail.com [216.32.241.181]) by hub.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id 59BF637B719; Sun, 25 Mar 2001 03:55:21 -0800 (PST) (envelope-from jautajums@hotmail.com) Received: from mail pickup service by hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC; Sun, 25 Mar 2001 03:55:20 -0800 Received: from 195.13.160.40 by lw6fd.law6.hotmail.msn.com with HTTP; Sun, 25 Mar 2001 11:55:20 GMT X-Originating-IP: [195.13.160.40] From: "Vienkarsi Jautajums" To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org Cc: freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG Subject: Small HOW TO "fixing timeozne" for those who are forgotten. Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 14:55:20 +0300 Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed Message-ID: X-OriginalArrivalTime: 25 Mar 2001 11:55:20.0895 (UTC) FILETIME=[77BFD4F0:01C0B522] Sender: owner-freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG Precedence: bulk X-Loop: FreeBSD.org Hi! Since many ppl uses older FreeBSD boxes and timezone changes appears more frequent than "system updates", here comes an easy way to make update for timezone files. ------------------------------------------------------------ cd /usr/src/share/zoneinfo fetch ftp://elsie.nci.nih.gov/pub/tzdata2001a.tar.gz tar zxvf tzdata2001a.tar.gz make install tzsetup ------------------------------------------------------------ file you must fetch from ftp must be newest up to date tzdata?????.tar.gz PS why not to make script in share/zoneinfo directory that updates automaticly ??? wbr *Rat _________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com. To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org with "unsubscribe freebsd-newbies" in the body of the message From owner-freebsd-newbies Sun Mar 25 5:50:26 2001 Delivered-To: freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org Received: from f1node03.rhrz.uni-bonn.de (node03.rhrz.uni-bonn.de [131.220.18.133]) by hub.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id 12CC937B719 for ; Sun, 25 Mar 2001 05:50:24 -0800 (PST) (envelope-from uzs106@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de) Received: from moritz.alleswirdgelber (ascend-tk-p88.dialin.uni-bonn.de [131.220.244.88]) by f1node03.rhrz.uni-bonn.de (8.9.3/8.9.3) with ESMTP id PAA46716 for ; Sun, 25 Mar 2001 15:50:20 +0200 Received: from localhost (uzs106@localhost [127.0.0.1]) by moritz.alleswirdgelber (8.9.3/8.9.3) with ESMTP id PAA00667 for ; Sun, 25 Mar 2001 15:49:51 +0200 (CEST) (envelope-from uzs106@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de) Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 15:49:51 +0200 (CEST) From: Heiko Recktenwald X-Sender: uzs106@moritz.alleswirdgelber To: freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG Subject: Samba basics ? Message-ID: MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII Sender: owner-freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG Precedence: bulk X-Loop: FreeBSD.org Hi gang, sotosay a practical topic, sorry, that it isnt BSD specific, but it seems to be the network solution in a mixed network with Macs and Wintels. If you want to keep it simple. Right ? What is the minimal samba setup. what do I have to tell the wintel ? Dave ? The minimal smb.conf. How to expand it, what are usefull features, that one might want to have ? It should still work on all machines. Currently, I have installed samba on an old Indy, Win98 and our dear and noble OS on the PC. Thanks, H. To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org with "unsubscribe freebsd-newbies" in the body of the message From owner-freebsd-newbies Sun Mar 25 19:29: 3 2001 Delivered-To: freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org Received: from irina.super.nu (irina.super.nu [216.169.108.56]) by hub.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id B0D0037B718 for ; Sun, 25 Mar 2001 19:28:59 -0800 (PST) (envelope-from thomas@championville.org) Received: from telocity (dsl-64-194-31-97.telocity.com [64.194.31.97]) by irina.super.nu (8.8.8/8.8.8) with SMTP id WAA22378 for ; Sun, 25 Mar 2001 22:22:48 -0500 Message-ID: <011b01c0b5a4$36c33280$2801a8c0@telocity.com> From: "Thomas Champion" To: Subject: sendmail problem Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 19:23:26 -0800 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0118_01C0B561.11E74C00" X-Priority: 3 X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.50.4133.2400 X-Mimeole: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.50.4133.2400 Sender: owner-freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG Precedence: bulk X-Loop: FreeBSD.org This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0118_01C0B561.11E74C00 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello all: I just sucessfully installed FreeBSD4.2 on my server. I am now having a = problem with the my sendmail. I am able to send remote mail, but am unable to send local mail. Also, = when using fetchmail to pull my mail from my ISP, it hangs. I have = tested sendmail by "telnet localhost 25" and have found that when there = is a 'rcpt to: thomas@localhost' i will hang, although when there is a = 'rcpt to: thomas@championville.org' there is no problem (although the = mail does go to my ISP not to my local mailbox). I am using the same configuration that I had used on my Slackware server = at one time (with no problems) Any help would be appreciated. Thomas ------=_NextPart_000_0118_01C0B561.11E74C00 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Hello all:

I just sucessfully installed FreeBSD4.2 on my = server.  I=20 am now having a problem with the my sendmail.
I am able to send remote mail, but am unable to send = local=20 mail.  Also, when using fetchmail to pull my mail from my ISP, it=20 hangs.  I have tested sendmail by "telnet localhost 25" and have = found that=20 when there is a 'rcpt to: thomas@localhost' i will = hang, although=20 when there is a 'rcpt to: thomas@championville.org' = there is=20 no problem (although the mail does go to my ISP not to my local=20 mailbox).

I am using the same configuration that I had used on = my=20 Slackware server at one time (with no problems)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thomas

Format=20 Your Message Here

Dear Sir,
I am enclosing herewith brochure of BAPS = Swaminarayan Sanstha=20 for your kind consideration. We are from one of the  Centre - = Bhavnagar=20 forwarding herewith our genune request for your valuable donation = for this=20 work. As you know that Bhavnagar is a one of the earthquake affected = centre in=20 which we are having experience of earthquake tremours more than 500=20 since last 8 months. These tremours inspired us to work for = earthquake=20 affected people. From Bhavnagar centre we have dispatched huge quantity = of all=20 the required materials. Now earthquake affected area require = permanant=20 housing facilities. To provide such type of facilities we are requesting = you to=20 send your valuable donation to one of the best and leading NGO of the = world and=20 oblige us.
Thanking you,
Yours faithfully,

Hiren Trivedi

------=_NextPart_001_0017_01C0B958.06C04B60-- ------=_NextPart_000_0016_01C0B958.06B8AA40 Content-Type: image/gif; name="extract.gif" Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64 Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="extract.gif" R0lGODlhLQAkAPcAAAAAAAAAQAAAgAAA/wAgAAAgQAAggAAg/wBAAABAQABAgABA/wBgAABgQABg gABg/wCAAACAQACAgACA/wCgAACgQACggACg/wDAAADAQADAgADA/wD/AAD/QAD/gAD//yAAACAA QCAAgCAA/yAgACAgQCAggCAg/yBAACBAQCBAgCBA/yBgACBgQCBggCBg/yCAACCAQCCAgCCA/yCg ACCgQCCggCCg/yDAACDAQCDAgCDA/yD/ACD/QCD/gCD//0AAAEAAQEAAgEAA/0AgAEAgQEAggEAg /0BAAEBAQEBAgEBA/0BgAEBgQEBggEBg/0CAAECAQECAgECA/0CgAECgQECggECg/0DAAEDAQEDA gEDA/0D/AED/QED/gED//2AAAGAAQGAAgGAA/2AgAGAgQGAggGAg/2BAAGBAQGBAgGBA/2BgAGBg QGBggGBg/2CAAGCAQGCAgGCA/2CgAGCgQGCggGCg/2DAAGDAQGDAgGDA/2D/AGD/QGD/gGD//4AA AIAAQIAAgIAA/4AgAIAgQIAggIAg/4BAAIBAQIBAgIBA/4BgAIBgQIBggIBg/4CAAICAQICAgICA /4CgAICgQICggICg/4DAAIDAQIDAgIDA/4D/AID/QID/gID//6AAAKAAQKAAgKAA/6AgAKAgQKAg gKAg/6BAAKBAQKBAgKBA/6BgAKBgQKBggKBg/6CAAKCAQKCAgKCA/6CgAKCgQKCggKCg/6DAAKDA QKDAgKDA/6D/AKD/QKD/gKD//8AAAMAAQMAAgMAA/8AgAMAgQMAggMAg/8BAAMBAQMBAgMBA/8Bg AMBgQMBggMBg/8CAAMCAQMCAgMCA/8CgAMCgQMCggMCg/8DAAMDAQMDAgMDA/8D/AMD/QMD/gMD/ //8AAP8AQP8AgP8A//8gAP8gQP8ggP8g//9AAP9AQP9AgP9A//9gAP9gQP9ggP9g//+AAP+AQP+A gP+A//+gAP+gQP+ggP+g///AAP/AQP/AgP/A////AP//QP//gP///yH5BAEAAPwALAAAAAAtACQA AAjyACUJHEiwoMGDCBNK+sewocOHECNKjChwosWLGP9VzMgR4oCPIBtu7EjyH8iQDEeW5Hjyo8iF Kzu2HPAypsyWNW3q1AhzZ0yVPkkCDcpxKFGMRm0CWLr0YtKSSz9IldpU4tOOAKZqpWq1p9KtYAFQ 9BozK1OmWsVCvMoT4b+sH85GTbuWLFSweNU6ZKvwLVW5W/Xm/BoXMN2HfBP6xRu47k64cuFOFZzS 7t3IhxFbJimZMeXKQTsH/syT6NzJZx0flfs29d7Nq12DPiqRdWWFuHMPlDuQn+/fwIMLH07ct9zi yJMnP668uXN+Z59LXw7Ad0AAOw== ------=_NextPart_000_0016_01C0B958.06B8AA40-- To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org with "unsubscribe freebsd-newbies" in the body of the message From owner-freebsd-newbies Fri Mar 30 6:59: 8 2001 Delivered-To: freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org Received: from q.closedsrc.org (ip233.gte15.rb1.bel.nwlink.com [209.20.244.233]) by hub.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id 0E7F037B719 for ; Fri, 30 Mar 2001 06:59:02 -0800 (PST) (envelope-from lplist@closedsrc.org) Received: by q.closedsrc.org (Postfix, from userid 1003) id BA7F855407; Fri, 30 Mar 2001 06:56:04 -0800 (PST) Received: from localhost (localhost [127.0.0.1]) by q.closedsrc.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id ACC0051610; Fri, 30 Mar 2001 06:56:04 -0800 (PST) Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 06:56:04 -0800 (PST) From: Linh Pham To: dmp Cc: "J.Goodleaf" , Subject: Re: What is that ^M character? In-Reply-To: <3AC421D8.4D6B251A@pantherdragon.org> Message-ID: MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII Sender: owner-freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG Precedence: bulk X-Loop: FreeBSD.org On 2001-03-29, dmp scribbled: # The ^M is the CR. DOS text files also have a ^Z (EOF char) at the end # of the file. Windows do not have the ^Z. Oops... thanks... I knew ^M was CR, but another one of those: the mind thinks one thing, the hand does another. -- Linh Pham [lplist@closedsrc.org] // 404b - Brain not found To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org with "unsubscribe freebsd-newbies" in the body of the message From owner-freebsd-newbies Fri Mar 30 9:22:19 2001 Delivered-To: freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org Received: from wheel.dcn.davis.ca.us (wheel.dcn.davis.ca.us [168.150.253.1]) by hub.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id 3F57337B71B for ; Fri, 30 Mar 2001 09:22:18 -0800 (PST) (envelope-from dtfoster@dcn.davis.ca.us) Received: from dcn.davis.ca.us (pm3a-57.dcn.davis.ca.us [168.150.192.57]) by wheel.dcn.davis.ca.us (8.9.3/DCN8.9.3.1) with ESMTP id JAA02128 for ; Fri, 30 Mar 2001 09:22:03 -0800 (PST) Message-ID: <3AC4C0C3.F4F57850@dcn.davis.ca.us> Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 09:22:11 -0800 From: Don Foster X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.5 [en] (Win95; I) X-Accept-Language: en MIME-Version: 1.0 To: freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org Subject: (no subject) Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG Precedence: bulk X-Loop: FreeBSD.org subscribe To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org with "unsubscribe freebsd-newbies" in the body of the message From owner-freebsd-newbies Fri Mar 30 18:20: 0 2001 Delivered-To: freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org Received: from kelly.sercomtel.com.br (kelly.sercomtel.com.br [200.250.19.8]) by hub.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id 9FB3037B718 for ; Fri, 30 Mar 2001 18:19:56 -0800 (PST) (envelope-from lhguimaraes@ineparnet.com.br) Received: from verde.onda.com.br (pophost.onda.com.br [200.250.19.90]) by kelly.sercomtel.com.br (8.9.3+Sun/8.9.3) with ESMTP id XAA20662 for ; Fri, 30 Mar 2001 23:19:49 -0300 (EST) Received: from impact (ascta011p161.onda.com.br [200.195.210.161]) by verde.onda.com.br (8.8.8/8.8.8) with SMTP id XAA00605 for ; Fri, 30 Mar 2001 23:19:51 -0300 (EST) Message-ID: <001301c0b989$29f5b300$0201a8c0@impact> From: "Luiz Henrique" To: Subject: Shadow password w FreeBSD 4.2 Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 23:17:46 -0300 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Priority: 3 X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.50.4133.2400 X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.50.4133.2400 Sender: owner-freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG Precedence: bulk X-Loop: FreeBSD.org Hi Guys, Is possible enable shadow support in FreeBSD 4.2 (Like Linux) ? If yes, when i make this? Sorry, but my english is terrible. :-( Thanks, To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org with "unsubscribe freebsd-newbies" in the body of the message From owner-freebsd-newbies Fri Mar 30 18:31:10 2001 Delivered-To: freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org Received: from phoenix.welearn.com.au (unknown [139.130.44.81]) by hub.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id D281837B71E for ; Fri, 30 Mar 2001 18:31:02 -0800 (PST) (envelope-from sue@phoenix.welearn.com.au) Received: (from sue@localhost) by phoenix.welearn.com.au (8.9.3/8.9.3) id MAA10503 for freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org; Sat, 31 Mar 2001 12:30:15 +1000 (EST) (envelope-from sue) Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 12:30:15 +1000 (EST) From: Sue Blake Message-Id: <200103310230.MAA10503@phoenix.welearn.com.au> To: freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org Subject: FreeBSD Newbies First Aid Kit Sender: owner-freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG Precedence: bulk X-Loop: FreeBSD.org FreeBSD-Newbies First Aid Kit (This is a regular posting to the FreeBSD-Newbies mailing list. It is also available at http://www.welearn.com.au/freebsd/newbies/) FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG is the place to send all questions about installing, configuring, running and using FreeBSD. All help requests are handled by FreeBSD-Questions, including newbies questions. FreeBSD-Newbies is different. We don't ask for help or answer how-to questions. It is a discussion forum for newbies. FreeBSD-Newbies provides a place for new FreeBSD users to meet and covers any of the activities of newbies that are not already dealt with elsewhere. Examples include helping each other to learn more on our own, finding and using resources, problem solving techniques, how to seek help elsewhere, how to use mailing lists and which lists to use, general chat, making mistakes, boasting, sharing ideas, stories, moral (but not technical) support, and taking an active part in the FreeBSD community. We take our problems and support questions to freebsd-questions, and use freebsd-newbies to meet others who are doing the same things that we do as newbies. One of the things we do together is learn more effective ways to find help when we need it. Here are some suggestions: When something doesn't work the way you expect 1. First look at the errata for your release of FreeBSD at http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/releases/ for the latest information and security advisories. 2. Search the Handbook, FAQ, and mail archives at http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/search.html 3. If you still have a question or problem, collect the output of `uname -a' and of any relevant program(s) and email your question to FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG. Mailing lists When you have a problem that you can't solve by yourself, there's only one support mailing list and that's FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG. FreeBSD-questions helps with installation and basic setup as well as more general and advanced questions. You don't have to actually join freebsd-questions before asking a question there. Replies to your question will normally be sent to you personally as well as to the list. Just make sure you have read and followed the guidelines for posting, because you might find them different to what you're used to. If you do subscribe to freebsd-questions you'll have the advantage of seeing all of the recent questions and their answers. Before you post to FreeBSD-questions, please read the guidelines at http://www.lemis.com/questions.html Many of the people who answer FreeBSD-questions are very knowledgeable, but they get frustrated when they get questions which are difficult to understand. http://www.lemis.com/email.html is worth reading too. If you're not sure that you can follow these guidelines, come back and ask the other newbies for help on how to post an effective question to the support mailing list. Maybe your question has been asked before. If you search the mailing list archives at http://www.freebsd.org/search.html first you might get the answer right away. It's always worth trying. Other mailing lists (http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/eresources.html#ERESOURCES-CHARTERS) cover specialised areas and many are more developer-oriented. You'll need to read their charters carefully before participating, but it's probably a good idea to ask on either -newbies or -questions for advice about where to post a more specialised question. FreeBSD-announce is a very low volume read-only list for occasional announcements, such as notice of new releases, and the Really Quick Newsletter. It's worth subscribing to FreeBSD-announce too. Manuals You'll always be expected to show that you have made some effort to use the available documentation before asking for help. That's not always as easy as it sounds! If you know what documentation you need but can't locate it, send a brief query to FreeBSD-questions. If you don't know what you need, always have trouble finding it, or can't make any sense of it when you do, ask some patient newbies to steer you in the right direction. Anyone interested in writing or reviewing documentation for FreeBSD is encouraged to join the FreeBSD Documentation Project. Details are at http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/docproj.html Other resources A resource list is available at http://www.freebsd.org/projects/newbies.html to help new and inexperienced FreeBSD users to find relevant information quickly. It includes books, on line documents and tutorials, and links to web pages that other newbies have found useful for learning. If you have a suggestion for good material to be included, please write to freebsd-newbies and tell us about it. But I have seen people asking questions here! It is quite common for people to send the wrong kind of post to a mailing list. Because we're newbies it'll certainly happen here from time to time. The best thing to do if you see a message that doesn't belong on a list is to ignore it. There's always someone around whose job it is to sort these problems out privately. The posts to the lists go straight through, whatever their content. It is going to be confusing for a little while because we're all newbies so we all make mistakes. That's OK. One thing we're going to see a fair bit is people posting questions, believing they're doing the right thing by posting here as newbies, not realising how it works. If someone answers those questions the situation will snowball. There's nothing wrong with helping someone to redirect their question to freebsd-questions, but please do so gently. There's nothing wrong with the occasional mistake either. So all questions, requests for help, etc still go to freebsd-questions as usual. Ours is more of a discussion group, a place where newbies can relax with other newbies and focus more on our successes than on our temporary imperfection. We can talk about things here that are not allowed on freebsd-questions. We're also a bit freer to make the mistakes that we need to make in order to learn. _________________________________________________________________ To Subscribe to FreeBSD-Newbies: Send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org with "subscribe freebsd-newbies" in the body of the message. Mail sent to freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org appears on the mailing list. _________________________________________________________________ To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org with "unsubscribe freebsd-newbies" in the body of the message From owner-freebsd-newbies Fri Mar 30 18:41:17 2001 Delivered-To: freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org Received: from kelly.sercomtel.com.br (kelly.sercomtel.com.br [200.250.19.8]) by hub.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id 2899437B722 for ; Fri, 30 Mar 2001 18:41:13 -0800 (PST) (envelope-from lhguimaraes@ineparnet.com.br) Received: from verde.onda.com.br (pophost.onda.com.br [200.250.19.90]) by kelly.sercomtel.com.br (8.9.3+Sun/8.9.3) with ESMTP id XAA22268 for ; Fri, 30 Mar 2001 23:41:06 -0300 (EST) Received: from impact (ascta012p136.onda.com.br [200.195.211.136]) by verde.onda.com.br (8.8.8/8.8.8) with SMTP id XAA15266 for ; Fri, 30 Mar 2001 23:41:08 -0300 (EST) Message-ID: <005001c0b98c$2348afa0$0201a8c0@impact> From: "Luiz Henrique" To: Subject: Shadow password w FreeBSD 4.2 Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 23:40:53 -0300 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Priority: 3 X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.50.4133.2400 X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.50.4133.2400 Sender: owner-freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG Precedence: bulk X-Loop: FreeBSD.org Hi Guys, Is possible enable shadow support in FreeBSD 4.2 (Like Linux) ? If yes, "how" i make this? Sorry, but my english is terrible. :-( Thanks, To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org with "unsubscribe freebsd-newbies" in the body of the message From owner-freebsd-newbies Fri Mar 30 22:24:42 2001 Delivered-To: freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org Received: from server.mbg.com.ge (server.mbg.com.ge [212.72.131.237]) by hub.freebsd.org (Postfix) with SMTP id D4EEB37B71C for ; Fri, 30 Mar 2001 22:24:29 -0800 (PST) (envelope-from nugzar@mbg.com.ge) Received: (qmail 8339 invoked from network); 31 Mar 2001 06:49:18 -0000 Received: from unknown (HELO nugzar) (192.168.170.152) by server.mbg.com.ge with SMTP; 31 Mar 2001 06:49:18 -0000 Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 11:24:26 +0400 From: Nugzar Nebieridze X-Mailer: The Bat! (v1.44) UNREG / CD5BF9353B3B7091 Reply-To: Nugzar Nebieridze X-Priority: 3 (Normal) Message-ID: <835638327.20010331112426@mbg.com.ge> To: "Luiz Henrique" Cc: freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG Subject: Re: Shadow password w FreeBSD 4.2 In-reply-To: <005001c0b98c$2348afa0$0201a8c0@impact> References: <005001c0b98c$2348afa0$0201a8c0@impact> Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG Precedence: bulk X-Loop: FreeBSD.org It is already implemented. In linux there is /etc/shadow, and in FreeBSD there is /etc/master.passwd. It is implemented by default. Saturday, March 31, 2001, 6:40:53 AM, Luiz wrote: LH> Hi Guys, LH> Is possible enable shadow support in FreeBSD 4.2 (Like Linux) ? If yes, LH> "how" i make this? LH> Sorry, but my english is terrible. :-( LH> Thanks, LH> To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org LH> with "unsubscribe freebsd-newbies" in the body of the message -- To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org with "unsubscribe freebsd-newbies" in the body of the message From owner-freebsd-newbies Sat Mar 31 5:18:55 2001 Delivered-To: freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org Received: from kas.nhh.no (kas.nhh.no [158.37.97.7]) by hub.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id C220C37B71D for ; Sat, 31 Mar 2001 05:18:51 -0800 (PST) (envelope-from Knut.Syed@nhh.no) Received: (from itkas@localhost) by kas.nhh.no (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f2VDInj05022; Sat, 31 Mar 2001 15:18:49 +0200 (CEST) X-Authentication-Warning: kas.nhh.no: itkas set sender to Knut.Syed@nhh.no using -f To: newbies@FreeBSD.ORG Cc: Bill Schoolcraft Subject: Re: Re[2]: How to find out version of BIND remotely?? References: Organization: Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration From: Knut.Syed@nhh.no (Knut A. Syed) Date: 31 Mar 2001 15:18:49 +0200 In-Reply-To: Message-ID: Lines: 23 User-Agent: Gnus/5.0808 (Gnus v5.8.8) Emacs/20.7 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit Sender: owner-freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG Precedence: bulk X-Loop: FreeBSD.org Bill Schoolcraft writes: > [...] does the "42" equal any thing special ? No, 42 was just an example. (Actually 42 is the answer to life, the universe and everything. But that is another story.) > From the last few email I did the dig command and found that nhh.no > is running: > > VERSION.BIND. 0S CHAOS TXT "8.2.3-REL" > > Does the "version "42"; make the output look like the above ? No, options { version "42"; }; would make the output look like this: VERSION.BIND. 0S CHAOS TXT "42" ~kas -- Knut A. Syéd Senior Executive Officer, Department of Information Technology Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org with "unsubscribe freebsd-newbies" in the body of the message From owner-freebsd-newbies Sat Mar 31 9:34:15 2001 Delivered-To: freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org Received: from mail.xmission.com (mail.xmission.com [198.60.22.22]) by hub.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id 5734337B71D for ; Sat, 31 Mar 2001 09:34:13 -0800 (PST) (envelope-from rootman@xmission.com) Received: from [166.70.7.157] (helo=blackmirror.xmission.com) by mail.xmission.com with smtp (Exim 3.12 #1) id 14jPGO-0000t9-00 for freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org; Sat, 31 Mar 2001 10:34:12 -0700 From: Joe Warner To: freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org Subject: Video Player Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 10:31:45 -0700 X-Mailer: KMail [version 1.0.28] Content-Type: text/plain MIME-Version: 1.0 Message-Id: <01033110335900.00713@blackmirror.xmission.com> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit Sender: owner-freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG Precedence: bulk X-Loop: FreeBSD.org Can anyone recommend a good movie player for FreeBSD 4.2 that will play multiple formats like MPEG, AVI, etc.? Thanks Joe To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org with "unsubscribe freebsd-newbies" in the body of the message From owner-freebsd-newbies Sat Mar 31 23:25:54 2001 Delivered-To: freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org Received: from baku.host4u.net (baku.host4u.net [216.71.64.26]) by hub.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id 59FCE37B71C for ; Sat, 31 Mar 2001 23:25:50 -0800 (PST) (envelope-from freebsddiary@baku.host4u.net) Received: (from freebsddiary@localhost) by baku.host4u.net (8.8.5/8.8.5) id BAA15360; Sun, 1 Apr 2001 01:07:02 -0600 Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 01:07:02 -0600 Message-Id: <200104010707.BAA15360@baku.host4u.net> From: Dan Langille To: freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org Subject: The FreeBSD Diary: 2001-03-11 - 2001-03-31 Sender: owner-freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG Precedence: bulk X-Loop: FreeBSD.org The FreeBSD Diary contains a large number of practical examples and how-to guides. This message is posted weekly to freebsd-questions@freebsd.org with the aim of letting people know what's available on the website. Before you post a question here it might be a good idea to first search the mailing list archives and/or The FreeBSD Diary . These are the articles posted during this period: 30-Mar : qpopper with APOP Don't show your password when POP'ing http://freebsddiary.org/apop.html?2 28-Mar : IRC Hints Tips and hints for a happy IRC life... http://freebsddiary.org/irc.html?2 28-Mar : installing bind8 from ports You can use the port to upgrade the base install of bind http://freebsddiary.org/bind8-from-ports.html?2 27-Mar : Customizing Console Fonts Troy Bowman shows us how http://freebsddiary.org/console-fonts.html?2 25-Mar : Introduction to C++ API for mySQL Murat Balaban shows us the way http://freebsddiary.org/mysql-capi.html?2 19-Mar : FrontPage 2000 - installing the extensions Sometimes not using the port can work too... http://freebsddiary.org/frontpage2000-installing.html?2 13-Mar : new ipfilter option is really cool! shows the state table like top show the process table http://freebsddiary.org/ipfstat-t.html?2 -- Dan Langille - DVL Software Limited The FreeBSD Diary - http://freebsddiary.org/ - practical examples FreshPorts - http://freshports.org/ - the place for ports To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org with "unsubscribe freebsd-newbies" in the body of the message