Date:      Mon, 29 Oct 2001 14:53:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      Francisco Reyes <lists@natserv.com>
To:        Alexey Koptsevich <alex@astro.su.se>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: reliable HDD brand

On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, Alexey Koptsevich wrote:

> I would like to buy IDE HDDs for RAID, 40 Gb. Which IDE HDD brand is more
> reliable? Any useful links, your experience? For the moment we have chosen
> IBM Ericsson.

Catchin up with my lists...
Take a look at storagereview.com
I look at this site at least 3 to 4 times a week. Lots of info about HDs
including reliability, performance and recently even reviews on noise.

In particular try and read the forums regularly.

As for those asking why SCSI disks are better it is usually because
components and manufacturing of SCSI drives is better.

SCSI drives are usually so much better than SCSI that almost 3 years ago I
bought some used SCSI drives for $75 and those drives have survived longer
than several brand new IDEs (IBM and Quantum). My only two issues with
SCSI are the price and the noise.