Date:      Sun, 1 Jul 2001 14:36:24 +0800
From:      Michael Boman <michael.boman@securecirt.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>, Michael Boman <michael.boman@securecirt.com>
Cc:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem with MD devices in PicoBSD

On Saturday 30 June 2001 23:45, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> [Charset iso-8859-1 unsupported, filtering to ASCII...]
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > I have some problem getting up a second MD device on PicoBSD (the version
> > from today's -STABLE). I need more space then the 2200kb the initial disk
> > is. If I try to increase the initial disk (the one mounted as "/") i get
> > "Out of space" error while building, so I thought about increasing
> > diskspace on-the-fly when it's needed...
>
> not sure what you want to do. If you need space at runtime,
> then just make a larger MFS image, which is compressed, so
> the extra (empty) space takes almost nothing.

I need approx. 30 Mb storage area (rw) for additional software I need to use.
Now, I can't possible fit 30 Mb on a 1.44 Mb floppy, so I get the extra
software from CDROM and over network (scp or rsync). But first of all I need
the extra 30 Mb disk-space to store the files in.

> If you get "Out of space" errors, it means that even the compressed
> image is too large and then you have to drop something.
>
> Anyways, if you are on stable, i think you need /dev/vn* and not
> /dev/md*

Ok, I've added the vn* devices, both in the kernel and in the ~net/config
file and they get created. How can I make a 30 Mb ramdisk on the fly from
here? I am sorry to bother you but I cant find any concrete information on
the websites. The only thing I find is to use vnconfig, but can't find any
info how to create a disk from thin air.

--
Michael Boman                              #04-01, 750c Chai Chee Road
Security Architect          Technopark@ChaiChee, Singapore 469003