Date:      Mon, 4 Feb 2002 11:08:08 -0500
From:      "Eric S. Van Gyzen" <eric@stat.duke.edu>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Matlab 6.1 works...on SMP?!

The current situation with matlab 6.1 (as I know it) is this:

With a symlink from /dev/ptmx to /dev/null, unix() calls are disabled, but
you can cleanly exit the program.  Without the symlink, you can use unix()
calls but have to use 'kill' to exit the program.  (If you don't want to
use the desktop, the -nojvm switch solves both problems.)

However, I have several SMP machines (dual Athlons) on which I can both
call unix() AND exit the program cleanly, without the symlink, with the
desktop!  Can anyone explain this?  Even better, can anyone tell me how to
get my UP machines to do the same?  All of these machines are identical,
except for the kernel, of course.

Please CC me on any replies, as I am not subscribed to -emulation.

Thanks in advance!

-Eric

--
Eric S. Van Gyzen                                 919.684.5419
Sr Systems Programmer                       eric@stat.duke.edu