Date:      Sun, 6 Oct 2002 11:58:16 -0700
From:      Robert Clark <res03db2@verizon.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>, David Francheski <davidf@caymas.com>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Running independent kernel instances on dual-Xeon/E7500 system

I've often thought it would be nice to be able to devote
one processor to a RT style OS instance that continuous
duty doing "throw away" work updating the display, audio,
etc.

Using a general purpose CPU for graphics and sound work
may not result in the kinds of performance you get with
a GPU, but I have to imagine it would have a better
chance of encouraging "free" driver development.

On the flip side, the OS instance that didn't have
anything to do with audio/video could spend more of
its time doing network/disk I/O, and more traditional
duties.

[RC]

On Sat, Oct 05, 2002 at 02:28:04AM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> Nate Lawson wrote:
> > On Fri, 4 Oct 2002, David Francheski wrote:
> > > I have a dual-Xeon processor (with E7500 chipset) motherboard.
> > > Can anybody tell me what the development effort would be to
> > > boot and run two independent copies of the FreeBSD kernel,
> > > one on each Xeon processor?   By this I mean that an SMP
> > > enabled kernel would not be utilized, each kernel would be UP.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > David L. Francheski
> >
> > Not possible without another BIOS, PCI bus, and separate memory --
> > i.e. another PC.
>
> IPL'ing is not the same as "running".  So long as you crafted the
> memory image of the second OS and its page tables, etc., using the
> first processor, there should be no problem running a second copy
> of an OS on an AP, as a result of a START IPI from the BP, after
> the code is crafted.  Thus there is no need for a separate BIOS.

<snip>