Date:      Sun, 2 Mar 2003 20:12:54 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Jun Su <JunSu@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: why libkvm not implement read from user memory space

On Sun, 2 Mar 2003, Jun Su wrote:

> I am adding some new feature to the kgdb. I am not sure why the libkvm doesn't
> implement reading from memory space when checking core dump. Who can give
> some comments on this? If it is possible, I will try to implement it.

It was lost when libkvm was converted to use procfs (reading from
/proc/<pid>/mem instead of from kmem).  procfs is often considered
harmful for even more reasons than this, but replacing it by sysctls
tends to break support for dead kernels even more since sysctl() is
completely unlike read().

Bruce