Date:      Mon, 19 May 2003 10:28:49 +0200
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   OT: need pppoe help (5.0-current)

Sorry for posting it here but I remember to have received help from some
people in this mailing list with pppoe problems in the past.

I have T-DSL (Telekom) with a non Telekom provider (kamp-dsl.de)
and since I upgraded my FreeBSD 4.4 gateway box to newer hardware and
FreeBSD 5.0R, now 5.1-current, I'm having lots of trouble:

The normal pppoe connection is very unstable. My box is supposed to be
online 24h/d (flatrate, fixed IP) but it is very often not reachable
from the outside world. It seems that I can 'wake up' the pppoe connection
from the inside, when I initiate some network reference to the outside
or I have to reboot the box.

What I see is lots of 'no matching session' messages. This comes from
the netgraph ng_pppoe.c module. I have a cron job every 5 minutes
that does an ntpdate to some timeserver but the 'no matching session' messages
don't seem to be correlated with this:

May 18 18:58:32 www kernel: no matching session
May 18 18:58:32 www kernel: no matching session
May 18 19:02:37 www kernel: no matching session
May 18 19:05:52 www kernel: no matching session
May 18 19:05:53 www kernel: no matching session
May 18 19:17:16 www last message repeated 5 times
May 18 19:26:02 www last message repeated 4 times
May 18 19:37:18 www last message repeated 5 times
May 18 22:07:37 www kernel: no matching session
May 19 00:42:38 www kernel: no matching session
May 19 03:06:23 www kernel: no matching session

I don't want to speak of the not working VPN client (mpd) for the moment,
which seems to eat up memory and ends in the ng0 interface being not available
and 'no buffer space available' when trying to ping anything through
pppoe after that has happened.

Clueless at the moment.

--
Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kukulies@rwth-aachen.de