Date:      Sun, 2 Mar 2003 08:33:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      Nick Johnson <freebsd@spatula.net>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: a couple hotspot errors

FYI: I was able to substantially reduce the occurrances of these errors by
tuning -Xms and -Xmx to larger numbers, which suggests that the internal
signal 11 thing may be something that's happening in a low-memory
condition.  Since I increased the numbers, the crash hasn't happened again
(but now that I've said something, I'm sure it'll crash in the next 10
minutes).

So I guess the moral of the story is that if you're using -Xmx and -Xms
and threads are going signal 11 randomly, try increasing the values you
used.

Otherwise, I have some good news to report: my site got a link in Yahoo
News, which resulted in a pretty massive flood of traffic and the FreeBSD
Java 1.3.1 Server Hotspot didn't even flinch (though obviously the overall
load on the box did go up a bit, but that's to be expected).

   Nick

--
Help me reach my AIDS/Lifecycle fundraising goal: http://go2rider.org/spatula
"The aptly-named morons.org is an obscenity-laced screed..."