Date:      Sun, 22 Jun 2003 13:08:23 -0400
From:      Gary Stanley <gary@outloud.org>
To:        Charles Sprickman <spork@inch.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3ware drive errors

http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp#raid3ware

 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>-
--> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>- -->
Problem:
WD EIDE drives are dropped from an IDE RAID array or system after several
days or weeks of error-free operation.

Solution:
The problem is a result of a feature that reduces idle acoustic noise in
desktop drives. This feature may cause a timeout likely (though not
exclusively) in an IDE RAID environment. To disable the feature, you can
run a simple Western Digital utility to turn off a single bit in the
drive's run-time configuration. Disabling of this feature will NOT impact
normal system operations. No firmware or hardware changes are required.