Date:      Wed, 26 May 2004 13:39:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Gerald <gcoon@inch.com>
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   New Dell 2650 notes from the field?

CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.40GHz (2386.10-MHz 686-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0xf29  Stepping = 9
Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,
CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
  Hyperthreading: 2 logical CPUs

I'm setting up FreeBSD on a few dual Xeon Dell 2650s to be deployed soon.
I can make do with a single proc until FreeBSD has more mature SMP
ability. I'm actually going to roll it out as a 4.8 box and upgrade to 4.9
in the future. (When something necessitates it.) I recently posted to
-stable about a Compaq that had random lockups that had to be power cycled
to unhang it. Disabling SMP finally resolved the problem, so I'm very
leery of SMP in FreeBSD for the time being. The machine would run fine
under no load and even make it 24-72 hours under heavy load before
freezing.

Does anyone have any pointers about FreeBSD + or - SMP on these
Poweredge 2650's under a decent load? I saw one post where someone
installed 5.1 on a 2650 (Stefan in 6/2003), but I don't know what kind of
load he was putting on that machine or if it was a development box that
could crash occasionally and not hurt anything. The one I'm deploying
needs to be more stable than than a dev box.

I would prefer not to drop a Linux distro in to our server mix just for
what this customer wants this server for unless I have to.

TIA,

Gerald