Date:      Sun, 28 Nov 2004 23:54:39 +0100
From:      Christian Brueffer <chris@unixpages.org>
To:        Ceri Davies <ceri@submonkey.net>, Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-www@FreeBSD.org
Subject:    Re: www/74407: Please add us to the list of FreeBSD vendors on freebsd.org

--Nq2Wo0NMKNjxTN9z

On Fri, Nov 26, 2004 at 10:10:10PM +0000, Ceri Davies wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 26, 2004 at 01:06:35PM -0800, Murray Stokely wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 26, 2004 at 01:50:16PM +0000, Christian Brueffer wrote:
> > >  > www.cheeplinux.com is a UK based website selling the latest stable=
 & cutt=3D
> > >  ing edge FreeBSD software. Orders are shipped same-day worldwide.
> > >  > >How-To-Repeat:
> > >  >      =3D20
> > > =20
> > >  I assume you want to be listet in 'CD and DVD Sets' section of the
> > >  'Obtaining FreeBSD' handbook appendix?
> > >  (http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/mirrors.h=
tml)
> > > =20
> > >  If so, please submit an entry similar to the other ones listed.
> >=20
> > Should we at least be asking these companies what they are doing for
> > the FreeBSD Community?  Do we really want to support a company called
> > cheaplinux.com and dilute the mindshare of supporting FreeBSD vendors?
> > We never used to list companies like cheapbytes.com in the past, but
> > that seems to have changed in the past 2 years.  We no longer have a
> > single official vendor, but cheaplinux.com is no daemonnews or
> > freebsdmall.
>=20
> I think the question comes down to whether we want to list vendors or
> not.  If it's a requirement that you contribute Fixnum % of your takings
> to the FF (or whatever), then we should say so and everyone will know
> where they stand.  Or we should get an official vendor.  There is no
> way to make the call otherwise.
>=20

That's the question indeed.  Both ways have it's pros and cons.  In the
past vendors just got added when they requested it, so I continued this
way.

I don't really have an opinion on which way to choose...

- Christian

--=20
Christian Brueffer	chris@unixpages.org	brueffer@FreeBSD.org
GPG Key:	 http://people.freebsd.org/~brueffer/brueffer.key.asc
GPG Fingerprint: A5C8 2099 19FF AACA F41B  B29B 6C76 178C A0ED 982D

--Nq2Wo0NMKNjxTN9z

--Nq2Wo0NMKNjxTN9z--