Date:      Sun, 13 May 2007 16:01:48 +0200
From:      Stefan `Sec` Zehl <sec@42.org>
To:        freebsd-bluetooth@freebsd.org
Subject:   send something TO a hid device

Hi,

I have just acquired a Bluetooth "Media Pad", which is basically a small
keyboard with an LCD display above it.

The keypad part works ok with bthidd (some special keys don't yet send
keycodes, but that should be easily fixable).

The more interesting part is that I have found some rudimentary info on
how to send something to that display, and wanted to implement that for
FreeBSD.

The problem I have is that bthidd is not designed to receive data from
somewhere else and send it to the device. As a test, I have successfully
hardcoded some data and sent it to the device already, but that data
needs to come from outside bthidd in the long run. What would be the
preferred way to get such data into the bthidd?

The obvious idea seams to be to make bthidd listen on a local socket,
and implement an ad hoc protocol. Are there any better ideas? Is there
perhaps a way to send information "backwards" through a vkbd device?

CU,
    Sec
--
I'm convinced that, if you could decode the 'unused' bits of our DNA, they'd
read: "Copyright 50000BC, Regents of the University of California"