Date:      Wed, 11 Jul 2007 18:19:30 +0100 (BST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Girish Motwani <girish.motwani@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kgmon on multiprocessors

On Mon, 2 Jul 2007, Girish Motwani wrote:

>            Does the kernel profiling tool kgmon give accurate information on
> multiprocessor systems ?  Or is there some other tool for SMP systems ? I
> tried looking up the archives for information on this, but could not find
> any.

Girish--

Take a look at hwpmc(4), pmccontrol(8), and pmcstat(8).  These allow you to do
kernel-only or systemic samplic using performance monitoring counters,
including looking at CPU time, cache misses, instructions retired, etc.  I
posted a sixty second howto here:

   http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2006-February/061096.html

Among other things, you can generate gprof output from PMC; right now, that's
without full stack traces (and hence callgraphs), but Joseph Koshy has work in
P4 implementing stack trace support.  I imagine this will go in after the 7.0
freeze lets up.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge