Date:      Sun, 9 Mar 2008 00:12:13 -0700
From:      "Edward Sanford Sutton, III" <mirror176@cox.net>
To:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   gvinum raid5 consuming entire cpu on FreeBSD 7.0

  Upgrading from 6-stable to 7.0-release has lead to a couple of immediately
noticeable changes. The striped swap across 3 disks, with 1 disk having been
removed and reinserted could finally be brought to an up state again with a
start command; was not available when last tested on 6-stable.
  Within top, I've found the system process "gv_p usr.p0" taking up all cpu
time on my system when there is a lot of write activity to usr.p0. The result
is the system becoming almost entirely unresponsive during much of the write.
  An example case is when trying to build the editors/openoffice.org-2 port;
when archives are being extracted, services time out connections to clients,
screens stop refreshing (and top shows the system process at 100% once it
starts to get a little bit of time again), mouse/keyboard input becomes
bufffered and all goes through at once when some cpu time is free. The
openoffice.org build running with nice 20 still causes major service
interruption. The only good response I still get is switching between virtual
text consoles (alt + F2, alt + F3, etc).
  Upgrading lead to a few changes being required in the kernel; do any of the
following sound like optional changes I made that I can remove to try
improving the performance:
options	STOP_NMI	# Stop CPUS using NMI instead of IPI
options	AUDIT	# Security event auditing
options	SMP	# Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
device	cpufreq
device	uart	# Generic UART driver
wlan additions, although I have no wireless hardware on this machine.
  Any other ideas how to get the load under concrol? I remember being able to
bogg down my system with an excessive mysql database fro disk load before,
but do not recall reaching such cpu load with anything that it could seem the
computer froze for input/output for more than a few seconds max; freezes can
now go for over a minute.
Thanks again,
Ed Sutton