Date:      Wed, 17 Jun 2009 12:57:31 -0600
From:      Deb Goodkin <deb@freebsdfoundation.org>
To:        freebsd-announce@freebsd.org
Subject:   [FreeBSD-Announce] Foundation Project Announcement

Dear FreeBSD Community,

The FreeBSD Foundation is pleased to announce another funded project!

Mark Linimon has been awarded a grant to prototype a new problem
reporting system for the FreeBSD project.  This project will allow Mark
to define the features, look-and-feel, and architecture of a future
replacement of the project's current GNATs based system.  Once the
prototype is complete, it will be used to garner input from the FreeBSD
community before a production system is implemented.

"One of the most frequently requested improvements from the FreeBSD
developer community is an improved bug tracking system," said Mark
Linimon. He also added, "The design goals of this prototype are
to incorporate such features as markedly improved workflow, better
categorization, customizable email notifications, and redesigned web
pages to make searching and browsing easier."

"Once the prototype is completed," Mark added, "it will be circulated
amongst the developer community for feedback. I am happy to have the
Foundation's support to work on this project."

"Problem reporting software is a critical tool for getting feedback
from the FreeBSD user community, recording information about defects
and missing features in the system, and making our volunteer developers
productive," said Justin Gibbs, Founder of the FreeBSD Foundation.
"Mark has used manpower and sheer will to overcome the deficiencies
in the current problem reporting system, and to make it work for the
project.  But our GNATs isn't fully utilized because of missing features
and a clumsy user interface. We're very excited to help address these
problems in a core piece of the FreeBSD project's infrastructure."

This project will be completed by the end of June.

Sincerely,

The FreeBSD Foundation