Date:      Wed, 14 Oct 2009 18:02:36 +0000 (UTC)
From:      John Case <case@sdf.lonestar.org>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD equivalent to Sun crypto framework APIs (PKCS#11)  (for hardware AES-CTR)

There are a number of hardware solutions for performing AES-CTR in
hardware - for example the broadcom BCM5825, which is supported by the
ubsec driver.

The problem is that OpenSSL does not currently support hardware
acceleration of AES-CTR.  The solution on a Sun system is to use the Sun
crypto framework APIs (PKCS#11) which does support AES-CTR in hardware.

Is there an analagous API in FreeBSD that I could implement in my code so
as to use the hardware AES-CTR of devices supported by ubsec ?

Or do I need to directly manipulate ubsec with my actual application in
order to do this ?