Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 2010 20:38:37 +0100
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   Deutsche Telekom termination of T-ISDN Mehrgeraeteanschluss Standard

Hi ISDN users,
1st half mail concerns only some people in Germany,
	2010 11 19, I received a letter from Deutsche Telekom, that
	they plan to terminate my ISDN early in the new year, &
	encouraging me to sign up for eg: double flat rate + 6 M bit/s DSL.

	Scanned excerpt :  http://berklix.com/~jhs/txt/isdn/

	I already also have DSL (1 Mbit/s) obviously time to upgrade that.

	Telekom don't say if they're scrapping all national ISDN service,
	or just in my city centre area, or just some ISDN service.

	I'll phone up D.Telekom & try to find out what's going
	on also beyond my locality.

	I havent used isdn on FreeBSD for many years to move data
	(I use DSL for that), But I daily use ISDN to both:
		- Support my Istec-1008 ISDN Local_Call_Office =
		   Private_Branch_Exchange = TK_Anlage,
 		- Display name (not number) of all callers presented
		  on an xterm to me.  I'd hate to lose that.

	I'm in a city, so DSL cable length no problem, but if D.T.
	were proposing to drop ISDN ? what happens to other people
	way out in the country where DSL repeaters cant reach ?

Independent of reader country::
	ISDN for BSD was developed largely in Germany, If ISDN
	supplier D.T. were to remove ISDN service some places, it
	might affect developers ?  ( I'm still running ISDN on
	FreeBSD-6 as latest patches on 9-current I've not tried
	yet, sorry).

	The other way to retain a named text caller ID from incoming
	number, is for me to reconnect serial cable (still a use
	for serial :-) to my Istec-1008 ( /usr/ports/misc/estic )
	then like I did maybe a decade back with isdnd, hack estic
	to look up name from numbers.

	But that Istec-1008 also needs ISDN, & very few if any other
	PBX have ever had their serial protocol cracked, & a package
	written like Istec hardware & Estic software.
	If anyyone knows of other LCO / PBX / TK public source
	packages I'd be interested.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
	Mail plain text;  Not quoted-printable, or HTML or base 64.