Date:      Sun, 10 Jan 2010 23:10:07 +0200
From:      Kaya Saman <SamanKaya@netscape.net>
To:        freebsd-jail@freebsd.org
Subject:   Using 'Jails' like Solaris Zones??

Hi,

I'm debating whether or not to install FreeBSD or Solaris on a new
mainframe that I'm going to get which is a Sun Fire V480 server.

Basically what I want this machine to do is all network infrastructure
services; meaning: ntp, dns primary/secondary, network monitoring with
cacti and munin and many more things!

Since virtualization is a little bit tricky on SPARC as tools such as
xVM, Citrix Xen, and VirtualBox don't run on any other then x86
platforms I am left with LDOMs which I think the machine may not be able
to handle as LDOMs require a minimum of 4GB of RAM plus a later
processor then the SPARC III chips inside.

Since FreeBSD has all the software I require and is quite easy on system
resources I was considering using 'Jails' where in Solaris I would be
using Zones to dedicate an individual IP address to each instance of Bind.

However, is it possible to dedicate a specific NIC to each instance of
Bind as well since this is really what I would be doing in Solaris???

Apologies if I seem a bit vague on which OS I will choose, it's just
that I am trying to consolidate as many services as possible without
requiring any more hardware.

Many thanks for any responses :-)

Regards,

Kaya