Date:      Sun, 1 May 2011 08:57:47 GMT
From:      Merkil <merkil@savhon.org>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/156749: FreeBSD 8.2 does infinite disk access in VMware 3.1.4

>Number:         156749
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       FreeBSD 8.2 does infinite disk access in VMware 3.1.4
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
I'm using FreeBSD-8.2-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso.
After having booted on the DVD, without doing anything (I pressed Space), a half of my dual core processor is used. Odd.
But after having booted FreeBSD (and also FreeBSD noacpi), my disk suddenly becomes unusable because of enormous and unstoppable disk access.

I'm using the default IDE hard disk, and I don't use VMware's paravirtualization.
>How-To-Repeat:
On an i386 machine :

- Install VMware Player.
- Boot on the FreeBSD-8.2-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso.
- Note that a half of your dual core processor is in use.
- Boot the default kernel (1).
- Your computer has become unusable.