Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 2014 21:08:33 +0200
From:      Harm Weites <harm@weites.com>
To:        freebsd-mips@freebsd.org
Subject:   interrupt storm arge0, tplink 1043nd

Hi,

My 1043nd is complaining about interrupt storms, presumably only when
wifi is beeing used. When this occurs, networking is gone.

The exact message thats flooding me:
    interrupt storm detected on "int2"; throttling interrupt source

The device associated with int2 is arge0.

Some possibly related logs, though these messages start at boot:

    # /sbin/dmesg | tail
    ath0: stuck beacon; resetting (bmiss count 4)
    ar5416StopDmaReceive: dma failed to stop in 10ms
    AR_CR=0x00000024
    AR_DIAG_SW=0x42000020
    MBSSID Set bit 22 of AR_STA_ID 0xb8c16866
    ath0: stuck beacon; resetting (bmiss count 4)
    ar5416StopDmaReceive: dma failed to stop in 10ms
    AR_CR=0x00000024
    AR_DIAG_SW=0x42000020
    MBSSID Set bit 22 of AR_STA_ID 0xb8c16866

This unit is configured with (arge0) port0 bound to device vlan1, port4
to vlan2 and ports 1,2,3 make up vlan3. There is wlan0, bound to ath0
and a bridge device that connects wlan0 to vlan3. There is a dhcp server
running in vlan3 to answer to wifi clients, internet is routed through
vlan1. This initially works but after a little while the storm begins
and the wifi client is left to die.

Adrian@ suggested to start with reading which interrupt(s) occur(s), but
that is perhaps a little to hard for me to code :) Looking at if_arge.c,
it seems there is some debug code already in place (ARGEDEBUG()) though
I'm not sure on how to use that. Reading from the AR71XX_DMA_INTR
register and mapping its content to AR71XX_DMA_INTR_STATUS would be
something I'd like to do with a separate program (instead of boldly
taking a deepdive in to if_arge.c and recompiling/flashing untill
something works).

One of my other units is configured with just a vlan device per switch
port, no wifi and no bridge. A third unit is configured with a wlan0,
vlan1 (port0) and vlan2 (ports 1,2,3,4). Both not showing any issues in
the past months. The only difference would be this problem-unit has a
bridge.

Any thoughts on how to approach or 'just' fix this?

Regards,
Harm