Date:      Mon, 13 Apr 2015 16:45:31 -0400
From:      Julio Merino <jmmv@meroh.net>
To:        Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-testing@freebsd.org" <freebsd-testing@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Python unittest backend for Kyua

[Here I am apologizing for delays again... that's it, I'm re-enabling =
email notifications for my OSS email account; splitting it off didn't =
work as intended.]

On Mar 2, 2015, at 19:07, Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org> wrote:
> Well, maybe I should dust off my old branch and get back to work.  But
> I don't know how my python tester would work with your executor
> branch.  If I understand correctly, the executor branch dispenses with
> the *-tester binaries and calls the test programs directly from the
> kyua executable, correct?  The python tester relied on the tester
> being a separate binary.  The tester was actually implemented in
> Python, which made it very easy for the tester to interact with
> individual test cases.  How would I accomplish that on the executor
> branch?

I think your approach of writing the tester in Python was a good one, as =
that allows the introspection features you mention.

To plug it into the executor code, we'd need to explicitly write a new =
backend type that invokes external programs.  I have not thought much =
about it, but it's possible to make this as generic as the previous code =
was.  Or maybe we shouldn't make it generic, and instead we should just =
have a native pyUnit primitive.

If you have interest in moving this forward, we can discuss.  But the =
executor code is about to receive some other big changes to properly fix =
one regression that was introduced, so I'd wait a little bit longer.

Cheers=