Date:      Wed, 30 Mar 2016 19:47:01 +0000
From:      Chris Reeves <chrisr@spectralogic.com>
To:        "freebsd-infiniband@freebsd.org" <freebsd-infiniband@freebsd.org>
Subject:   IPOIB perforance in 11.0-current

Hi All,

I've been trying to benchmark performance using IPOIB on FreeBSD 11.0-curre=
nt, but I'm not getting the speeds I think I should.  The best I'm seeing o=
n a 56 Gb/s link is about 10 Gb/s.  I know I won't see line speed using IPO=
IB, but this performance still seems slow...

I have two hosts, each with a MLX 354A card, connected to an FDR switch.  T=
he ports show connected at 56 Gb/s.  I'm running in connected mode with an =
MTU of 65520.

Using iperf as a benchmark, the best performance I can get is about 10 Gb/s=
 one way.  Using the exact same setup under Ubuntu, I've been able to get I=
POIB performance of 18 Gb/s.

Does anyone have any advice for improving my performance in FreeBSD?  I've =
tried datagram mode, but performance is slower (about 5 Gb/s) which I think=
 is expected.  I've tried different window sizes in iperf, but haven't been=
 able to get any higher than 10 Gb/s.  I've also turned off all the debug o=
ption in my kernel config.  Should I expect better performance?  Are there =
any other changes I can make to speed things up?

Thanks very much,

Chris