Date:      Sat, 28 Oct 2017 20:20:54 -0400
From:      Eric McCorkle <eric@metricspace.net>
To:        Jules Gilbert <repeatable_compression@yahoo.com>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>, Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-security@freebsd.org security" <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>, Ben Laurie <ben@links.org>, pg@eth1.com, Jeremiasfeliz <jeremiasfeliz@hotmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Crypto overhaul

On 10/27/2017 19:17, Jules Gilbert wrote:
> These days no one talks about how wonderful CPM was, we used it because
> at one time, it was the only OS available.
>
> So what is our excuse for using SSL?, because I'm fairly certain the NSA
> and just about everyone else in the neighborhood has hacked it.
>
> Question for the group...  Does anyone believe that factoring is
> actually hard.  It was once, I know.  But today?
>
> I'm not a crypto person, but even I wrote a simple factoring program.
> In C, using MAPM.  I produce a few of the left-most bits for a,b, where:
>
> c = a*b;
>
> where a is:  3 .. sqrt(c)
>
> and (of course,) b must be: greater than sqrt(c)
>
> from this I bisect the space of 3 .. sqrt(c) and begin the recursive
> descent.  The program does about 5,000 prime pairs an hour and this
> using MAPM!!
>
> I gave away the source code, let me know if you didn't get a copy.
> You'll need g++ and MAPM

This isn't the place for discussions of number theory, but I don't see
what you could possibly use for a binary search here.

More generally, discovering a polynomial-time prime factorization
algorithm would likely win you a fields medal, given that it's one of
the oldest open problems in mathematics.  So it's extremely unlikely
that a solution exists.