Date:      Sun, 23 Dec 2018 22:45:40 +0100
From:      Jan Beich <jbeich@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "D. Ebdrup" <debdrup@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cirrus-CI: Free FreeBSD CI testing for open-source projects

"D. Ebdrup" <debdrup@gmail.com> writes:

> On 12/19/18, Jan Beich <jbeich@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>> Li-Wen Hsu <lwhsu@freebsd.org> writes:

>>> This is really an exciting news. Ed and I started a wiki page for
>>> tracking
>>> the efforts we put or wanted to add FreeBSD CI for the software widely
>>> used:
>>>
>>> https://wiki.freebsd.org/HostedCI
>>
>> Why Chromium? Before hooking CI for FreeBSD it needs to build without
>> patches but there was no upstreaming activity for years.
>>
>> https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/#!searchin/chromium-reviews/freebsd|sort:date
>> https://cs.chromium.org/search/?q=OS_FREEBSD
>>

> Another way to see the result of upstream making a practice out of not
> accepting patches is to look at the files directory of the Chromium
> port as seen on [1], especially when put up against an upstream
> project which does accept patches as seen on [2].
>
> [1]: https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/www/chromium/files
> [2]: https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/www/firefox/files/

I'd err on chromium@ folks not having enough time rather than upstream
being unreceptive. Over the years various Chrome developers tried to
engage FreeBSD community but few have stepped up. Upstreaming is just
that hard/time-consuming and the process never ends. However, there're
benefits like timely/easy major updates, less bugs and feature parity
due to code sharing with other BSD systems and upstream sharing their
expertise in analyzing issues.

OTOH, Firefox is no better with CI targeting FreeBSD. flo@ maintained
FreeBSD Buildbot slave for mozilla-central which built daily rather than
per push (i.e., not a real CI) but it has been offline for more than a year.