Date:      Sun, 20 Dec 2020 09:15:50 -0300
From:      Eduardo Lemos de Sa <eduardo.lemosdesa@gmail.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Assistance needed with Xorg

Dear Gabriel

On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 2:40 AM doug <doug@fledge.watson.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Dec 2020, Gabriel Saltar via freebsd-questions wrote:
>
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I have decided to learn about freebsd and I have installed freebsd 12.2
> in desktop. However, I have not been able to configure Xorg correctly.
> >
> > My system has integrated Intel HD 2000 gpu and two monitors coonected. =
> have installed the i915kms driver. I have also enable it in my /etc/rc.co=
nf
> file.
> >
> > I have followed the instructions on the user handbook regarding adding
> the user to the video group. I have also updated freebsd and updated all =
my
> packages.
> >
> > I have attempted to run Xorg -configure and it fails. When I do startx
> it fails. When I checked the log, it states it failed to load driver 0, o=
> module 0. Please excuse me I'm writing from my mobile device and I do not
> have access to my desktop at this time.
> >
> > Also, while it prompted me to look into the /var/log/x11/xorg.0... file=
.
> There the output stated that the config did not match the devices detecte=
d.

> > From there I looked online and saw a template for dual monitor xorg.con=
> file and did my best to emulate it and place it in the /usr/etc/local/X11=
/
> directory. When I did I got an error that my configuration file had an
> error in line 44. I checked that was exactly after made the changes I
> thought I had to do add my second monitor to xorg.conf file.
> >
> > At this point I am clueless. I know I have not been very specific and I
> have not added the output I get from my system here, however any piece of
> advice you can offer will be highly appreciated.
> >
> > Best Regards,
> > Gabriel Saltar
>
> If you have not, read 5.3 and 5.4 in the handbook. Next check out
> Xorg.?.log in /var/log. On my system I installed xterm, I do not know if
> 12
> bundles that in. More information in https://wiki.freebsd.org/Laptops and
> the release notes on supported hardware. Look at dmesg for errors. The
> command "pciconf -lv" will list all the conponents that were recognized.
>
> In general startx will just work if the video, keyboard and mouse are
> recognized.

You certainly installed the i915kms drive but, did you load it? I mean,
kldload i915kms.ko (as root)?

Did you try to start xinit or startx without create /etc/X11/xorg.conf ?
Run Xorg --configure is not a mandatory step

My best wishes

Eduardo

--=20
Eduardo Lemos de Sa
Professor Titular
Dep. Quimica da Universidade Federal do Paran=C3=A1
fone: +55(41)3361-3300
fax:   +55(41)3361-3186