Date:      Mon, 2 Mar 2020 13:05:31 -0800
From:      "David P. Discher" <dpd@dpdtech.com>
To:        Stefan Parvu <sparvu@kronometrix.org>
Cc:        freebsd-xen@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 12.1 hypervisor management tools

This pop=E2=80=99ed up in my inbox when I was searching for something =
else =E2=80=A6 but by far, your best solution will be XOA

 - https://xen-orchestra.com

Not specifically =E2=80=9Cnot=E2=80=9D freebsd =E2=80=A6 it=E2=80=99s =
complicated enough to deploy via NPM or yarn or whatever - I=E2=80=99d =
recommend starting with their appliance.  I=E2=80=99m running XCP-ng, =
with XOA control.  You can have multiple XOAs controller your clusters, =
so you can run their linux packaged VM, while working on getting it to =
run under freebsd, if desired.=20

All the other tool listed in this thread are incomplete and when I was =
last evaluating, about 6 month ago, where missing too many key features.

I am not using FreeBSD as Dom0 - but using it as the backing NAS OS. And =
running a mix of CentOS and FreeBSD VMs.  A few years  ago, I test =
FreeBSD Dom0 =E2=80=A6 and still needed a lot of work to be production =
ready =E2=80=A6 as I the other thread in Xen in Feb 2020, from Brian =E2=80=
=A6 'abysmal network performance=E2=80=99 =E2=80=A6 and I believe disk =
IO was piss poor too.

If you are all FreeBSD, or mostly FreeBSD VMs =E2=80=A6 bhyve and =
vm-bhyve are nice, but no GUI. (if you don=E2=80=99t require more than =
1Gbps network performance ).  There was some, somewhat secret work on =
full VPS (virtual private server) kernel work, that got near (90-95%) =
theoretical hardware performance on Disk and Net IO, but I=E2=80=99m not =
sure if that was every merged or released publicly.   It was planned to =
be publicly merged =E2=80=A6 but not sure where that project went. (This =
work be helpful for Xen too ??)=20

I also implemented iSCSI + FreeNAS API into vm-bhyve a few years ago,

 - =
https://github.com/daviddpd/vm-bhyve/blob/freenas-iscsi/README-ISCSI.md =20=

(make sure you are on the freenas-iscsi branch) - and the corresponding =
API ...

 - https://github.com/daviddpd/ixnas-api

But these are a few years out of date and may need work.  Though, in the =
bhyve+iSCSI - the awesome thing is that each virtual disk was a raw =
block device mapped to the VM, as a iSCSI LUN, provisioned as a ZFS zvol =
(on the remote NAS via the API). =E2=80=9CCloning=E2=80=9D is done on =
the ZFS side.  With Xen+XOA, the only two SR (storage repositories) are =
NFS and iSCSI+LVM.  And each hypervisor makes a single NFS or iSCSI =
mount.  Then each Virtual disk is managed as a .vhd on NFS.  With =
iSCSI+LVM, then the iSCSI LUN is managed with LVM, and formatted with =
ext3(4?) or xfs, and the .vhd is keep as a file in that logical volume. =
Thin provisioning not available with iSCSI on XOA/XCP. Thin =
provisioning/snapshots on NFS done with features of .vhd in XOA/XCP. =
With my iSCSI+vm-bhyve, then thin provisioning, snapshots and cloning =
are done in ZFS, on the NAS side, not in the Dom0.=20

These are the only supported options in XOA - though Xen can likely do =
other things, they are implemented for easy of use in the Web UI.  =
Ideally I=E2=80=99d love to implement my iSCSI+ZFS for Xen and into XOA.=20=

--
David P. Discher=20
https://davidpdischer.com/

> On Jan 4, 2020, at 9:32 AM, Stefan Parvu <sparvu@kronometrix.org> =
wrote:
>=20
> Hi,
>=20
> We got a new server, where we plan to install FreeBSD 12.1 amd64 and =
use Xen.=20
> Is there anything we could use as GUI management tools for Xen on =
FreeBSD ?
>=20
> Im looking for some graphical user interface management software to =
allow different people to create/manage=20