Date:      Mon, 8 Feb 2021 20:33:08 +0100
From:      Andrea Venturoli <ml@netfence.it>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Understanding kernel deadlock

Hello.

First off, I apologize if I'm asking stupid questions, but I'm a noob.
I'm reading a lot of docs but that seems to never be enough.

I'm trying to analyze a locked up 12.2 kernel (from #244048) with kgdb,
but I'm stuck due to too little knowledge on my part.

What I think I'm seeing are some threads (including the one originated
from mksnap_ffs) waiting for some spare buffer (i.e. in bufspace_wait).

However the buf_daemon thread and its child, bufspace_daemon, are
seemingly looping without finding any buffer available to free.

Is that explanation reasonable? Possible at all?
Or am I getting it all wrong?

Is there a paper somewhere explaining how bufdaemon & co are supposed to
work?

Will they not allocate new buffers if needed? Is there a limit set
somewhere that I should increase?
Or are they just probably unable to work due to a LOR somewhere else?

Thanks for bearing with me.

  bye
	av.