Date:      Wed, 21 Apr 2021 20:32:18 -0600
From:      Stephen Walker-Weinshenker <sww1235@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-xen@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: FreeBSD/Xen dom0 UEFI support

Hello Roger:

Thank you for your work on this. I am new to Xen and FreeBSD but am willing
to help test this and get it in a release version.

I have 3 Intel NUC 8v5PNK that I am planning on using for Xen hosts, but
they can only boot in UEFI mode (intel disabled BIOS booting per their
official documentation even though it is still an option in the BIOS
/shrug). Until this patch came along I could not get any Xen distribution
to boot since they all require BIOS mode.

I have 2 of the 3 NUCS running 14.0-CURRENT at git commit
55fc118be8f0cd20e2123cfd2728c5f32317a9fa (after your patch was merged) and
I have attempted to follow the instructions at
https://docs.freebsd.org/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/virtualization-host-xen.html
in order to get the Xen kernel booting. Unfortunately, when I rebooted
after making the changes, I get an error saying:

>Failed to load Xen kernel '/boot/xen'
>can't load 'kernel'
>
>can't load 'kernel'

See screenshot at the link https://imgur.com/a/65LltnZ.

If I unload the kernel, unset xen_kernel and boot /boot/kernel/kernel I can
get back into normal freebsd and login normally.

Looking at the output of file, it appears that the xen kernel is a 32-bit
executable while kernel/kernel is 64-bit.

I have 4.14.1_1 of the xen kernel installed from pkgs.

Please let me know if you need any additional information or want me to
test something. As you can see, i am invested in this solution and would
love to get xen and UEFI and FreeBSD working seamlessly.

Thank you again

--
Stephen Walker-Weinshenker
sww1235@gmail.com