Date:      Sun, 22 Oct 2023 02:04:01 +0000
From:      void <void@f-m.fm>
To:        freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: rust 1.72.0 in poudriere-devel keeps getting rebuilt

Hello,

On Sat, 21 Oct 2023, at 23:45, Mark Millard wrote:

> "... add the precompiled package so poudriere will use it to compile
> packages": So you want a rust to be used that does not track the
> actual ports tree being built: allow the rust used to be out of sync
> with the ports source tree for rust's dependencies, despite that the
> rust version number does not indicate that full ports-source context.
> I'll note that this specific wording is not explicitly asking that
> an updated rust not be built at all. The difference between what is
> installed/used vs. what is built is being mixed in an unclear manor
> for the specific wording. Looks like you actually have a 2 component
> request overall:
>
> A) use of a prebuilt rust
> and at the same time:
> B) lack of doing any build of rust in the bulk run (even if the build
>     is not used: otherwise the time would not be avoided)

I need to say at the start that although I've done *some* testing of the
situation, I've not done *comprehensive* testing.

I'd like poudriere to download pre-built rust and whatever else rust
needs if poudriere is told to compile ports that require rust, ultimately
incorporating the rust package into the poudriere pkg collection.

poudriere is not setting any make options for the build outside what
would be there by default.

I can understand rust needing compiling by poudriere locally, if options
for rust itself have been changed in the local ports tree which deviate
from the default. Or if rust itself has a version change.
That isn't the case here.

It seems that every time poudriere runs, because the ports list has
some programs requiring rust, the rust pkg gets rebuilt. Same version
as on the pkg servers.

I can't understand at the moment why the poudriere download-then-use
works for a thing requiring gcc12 but not rust.

The longhand way of doing this without poudriere would be to install
rust from the pkg.freebsd.org using pkg and then make install the port
requiring rust from the ports tree. The last system I tried this on,
the installed rust was used. Why not with poudriere?