Date:      Fri, 4 Aug 2023 21:45:39 -0700
From:      list_freebsd@bluerosetech.com
To:        Ronald Klop <ronald-lists@klop.ws>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: flavors and fulfilling pkg deps?

On 2023-08-04 12:06, Ronald Klop wrote:
> I have port mongodb44. I want to create 2 flavors of it
> mongodb44@default and mongodb44@armv80a. Unifi7 depends on
> mongodb44(@default). If I install mongodb44@armv80a pkg wants to
> uninstall mongodb44 and with it unifi7.
>
> Can I make the 2 flavors to fulfill the pkg dependency of unifi7? So
> that it does not matter for unifi7 which mongodb44 pkg is installed as
> long as one of them is.

No, the flavor becomes part of the pkgname, so you effectively have two
unique pkgs: mongodb44-default and mongodb44-armv80a.  Ports and pkg
haven't yet been taught to allow multiple pkgnames when solving
dependencies.

FLAVORs should really be a last-resort option.  Can the default vs.
armv80a decision instead be done automatically based on the value of ARCH?