Date:      Thu, 18 Apr 2024 00:36:28 +0200
From:      Dimitry Andric <dim@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Hiroo Ono <hiroo@oikumene.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: llvm and Undefined symbols: ___truncsfbf2 problem

On 11 Apr 2024, at 15:07, Hiroo Ono <hiroo@oikumene.net> wrote:
>=20
> Hello,
>=20
> I am trying to update the lang/julia port to 1.11.0 (currently still =
in beta 1).
> I seem to ran across this problem initially reported on MacOS.
> https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/issues/52067
>=20
> The llvm team seems to have patched this problem only for Darwin.
> https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/pull/84192
>=20
> I think the solution is also needed for FreeBSD, but should I report =
it directly
> to llvm team or report here or to FreeBSD bugzilla and ask toolchain =
maintainer
> of FreeBSD to report upstream?

The __bf16 type is only available on some architectures, and only
supported by relatively recent compiler versions, in combination with
some runtime support (i.e. compiler-rt or libgcc).

Approximately: it is available on aarch64, amd64, arm (with fp), i386
(with sse2) and riscv. And it is supported by clang 15 and later (though
not for riscv, which requires clang 18), and gcc 13 and later.

However, the runtime support in FreeBSD was only added with the recent
merge of llvm 18. The necessary library functions (truncdfbf2 and
truncsfbf2) are now in compiler-rt.

-Dimitry