Date:      Mon, 01 Apr 2024 13:04:27 +0200
From:      =?utf-8?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=C3=B8rgrav?= <des@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen@punkt.de>
Cc:        Freebsd Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>,  "henrichhartzer@tuta.io" <henrichhartzer@tuta.io>,  Jonathan Vasquez <jon@xyinn.org>
Subject:   Re: xz 5.6.0/5.6.1 backdoored, possibly in src/contrib as well

"Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen@punkt.de> writes:
> 4.	FreeBSD is - to my knowledge  - not susceptible to this attack because=
 our sshd
> 	is not linked to the compromised library at all.

That's not sufficient.  The attack payload is a binary blob and has not
been fully analyzed; it could have other effects which haven't yet been
discovered.  However, FreeBSD is not vulnerable because the version of
xz included in FreeBSD includes neither the attack payload nor the
trojaned build script which injects the payload into the library.

> 5.	Even if you installed a supposedly compromised xz from ports, there ar=
e probably
> 	no ill consequences.

We don't have an xz or liblzma port.

DES