Date:      Sun, 07 May 1995 11:10:19 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org, security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   NIS/Kerberos has some strange behaviour...

Hi (Bill & Garrett) and the rest

I have been messing around with Kerberos and NIS for a while now trying
to get them to behave, and I have got them 90% co-operating. I have just
one problem:

When a pleb user tries to log in on a machine that is both a Kerberos
client and a NIS client, that user cannot log in using their NIS password.
Strangely, the Kerberos password works! Most other NIS functions (ypcat,
ypwhich, ypmatch etc) work, but passwd -y does not. On the Kerberos/NIS
server, all is well. Kerberos behaves well on both machines.

On the client, ypbind -s is run.

On the server I run ypserv -dns, yppasswdd -s -f(I prefer to use
/etc/master.passwd) and ypserv -s.

Any ideas?

Mark Murray
46 Harvey Rd, Claremont, Cape Town 7700, South Africa
+27 21 61-3768 GMT+0200