Date:      Sun, 25 Jun 1995 10:05:47 +0200 (SAT)
From:      geoff%neptune@ufrmsa1.olivetti.za
To:        mark@grondar.za (Mark Murray)
Cc:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, mark@grondar.za, paul@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org, csgr@freebsd.org, Wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu, jkh@freefall.cdrom.com, gibbs@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Crypt code summary(2).

Mark Murray writes :

> > > The kind folks at CSIR in South Africa who give me the Skeleton site for
> > > sourcing the crypto stuff have offered their machine for just this!
> > > (See mail to -hackers and bounce by me to the -current list). They are
> > > offering this machine as a full-blown code maintenance (cvs, ctm etc)
> > > site.
> >
> > I have read these, and it looks to be a reasonable site.  I still need
> > clarification on the legality of importing DES and crypto code from that
> > site to a US site.  After that is done we would need a machine running
> > FreeBSD to set up the cvs/ctm/sup stuff on, heck if I am going to try
> > and port that to any other platform or even try!!!
>
> This site is running FreeBSD (an old-ish -current).

I think that we must also emphasise that we now have a group of people
here in .za (Mark, the guys at the CSIR, and - believe it or not :-) :-)
- myself) who are committed to getting a CVS repository site/FreeBSD
archive site here in .za.

As I mentioned on another thread, Mark has agreed to prick my conscience
in order to get me a bit more active with FreeBSD again.

With my (attempted) reentry into the FreeBSD fray I hope I can get a bit
of work in in this area.  I am prepared (if necessary) to make a few
of trips (evenings and weekends - time permitting) to the CSIR to assist
in any config work required on skeleton.  (That includes getting it up to
-current, work on CVS etc. and any work required to get the machine
fully up to steam.)  (For me to get to the CSIR is not too far - it's
just a trip to Pretoria.)

Other areas to look at include getting skeleton running CTM etc.

Also, to reiterate a few things discussed on the phone with Mark
yesterday:
I fully support Mark taking on the leadership role in the work on
the secure/crypt bits.
With Mark at the helm on this one, I hope we should be able to get
some reasonable progress.

Geoff.
--
  Geoff Rehmet                                 | ____   _ o         /\