Date:      Sun, 2 Jul 1995 00:29:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: getopt(1)

> As Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
> >
> > Yes I object, please convert you old scripts to be portable and
> > use getopts(1) so you don't have to keep hauling getopt(1) around!
>
> Well, i'd accept your objection, but i've just been noticing that i
> wasn't really clear: it's not for _my_ sake -- i know how to convert
> the scripts (at least after RTFMing).  But getopt(1) used to be part
> of the system for a rather long time, and i'm under the impression
> that we're missing it since it has been part of the `tainted' sources
> from the original BSD.

It was missing in FreeBSD 1.x and people winned that they didn't want
to convert.  It went missing again when we went to 4.4BSD lite, and
this time it should probably stay missing folks have had 2 years to
convert there scripts and if we don't break them once and for all
they will never get converted.

getopt was not part of the tainted code.