Date:      Sun, 24 Dec 1995 01:23:03 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@rocky.sri.MT.net>
To:        peter@haywire.dialix.com (Peter Wemm)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs fails to remove no-longer-present files

> >>The new cvs apparently has a bugfeature of checking out old things from
> >>the Attic when there are references to the old things in CVS/Entries
> >>This is inconsistent with the old cvs, and breaks ctm, which doesn't
> >>export CVS/*.
>
> >   Oh! I haven't switched to using the new cvs yet...that explains it.
> >   Peter?
>
> >-DG
>
> The death support code in the new cvs is getting tripped up because we
> are writing the repository with the old cvs.

However, any of the old files in the CVS tree which don't have their
state set to 'death' will appear in checked out versions. :(

> The "fix" is to install cvs from -current on freefall.  This is
> overdue..  I've just made the changes on freefall to enable it to be
> compiled there...

It would be *very* good to run the (newly improved) convert.sh script in
the cvs source tree on our repository to make the old Attic files have a
'death' state, else they will be checked out by the new cvs binary.

Nate