Date:      Thu, 27 Apr 1995 13:13:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      bynum@NU.cs.fsu.edu (Mark J. Bynum)
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help! Filesystem errors

I was trying to do a couple of things to my IDE drive at one time (copying
files from it, two sets of gunzips on different partitions) and here is
what happened:

Note: the drive is a mostly MSDOS (except for a 1 meg FreeBSD partition)
      drive and is mounted in FreeBSD 2.0R.

Apr 26 08:09:18 apollo kernel: getblk: invalid buffer size: 34816
Apr 26 08:09:18 apollo kernel: getblk: invalid buffer size: 65536
Apr 26 08:16:11 apollo kernel: getblk: invalid buffer size: 65536
Apr 26 08:16:11 apollo kernel: getblk: invalid buffer size: 34816
Apr 26 08:16:12 apollo kernel: getblk: invalid buffer size: 34816
Apr 26 08:16:12 apollo kernel: getblk: invalid buffer size: 65536
Apr 26 08:16:12 apollo kernel: getblk: invalid buffer size: 34816

I didn't think much of these and proceeded to do a "rm -rf" to a DOS
directory in FreeBSD. It worked.

After rebooting into DOS I noticed that the partition that I did the
"rm -rf" on had NO files!?  I know that I only removed a directory and not
every single directory. Scandisk (in DOS 6.2) reports there are lost clusters
amounting to 114MB (all the files on the disk) and asks if I should save them
to a file.  Also under freebsd I get all types of garbage
being present on the filesystem (files with bad names, files with escape
characters in their names etc). What should I do?

Another related question: Has there been any work done on mounting DOS
filesystems since 2.0R?  If not, then does everyone mount DOS filesystems as
read only to avoid these types of problems (another problem of "mv"ing on a
DOS partition results in kernel panic) ?  Is there a way to mount them safely
instead of a regular mount?

Thanks for all help,

Mark Bynum