Date:      Sun, 27 Aug 1995 15:33:41 +0800 (CST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
To:        Christopher Sedore <cmsedore@mailbox.syr.edu>
Cc:        "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Making a FreeBSD NFS server

On Wed, 23 Aug 1995, Christopher Sedore wrote:

> The Network Computing article test were done over FDDI.  I got ~3MB/sec
> write and ~2MB/sec read while doing the tests.
>
> Note that the ~2MB/sec read was from a disk which only yielded ~2MB/sec
> when using IOZone locally, so a 7200 rpm drive may make the number go up.

    I mounted a local disk via NFS through the loopback interface
(after being reminded that the hostname list to mount(8) isn't comma-
delimited ;-)) and got 1.4 MB/s reading and 1.8 MB/s writing (with
async NFS writes).  Running iozone directly on that disk gets me about
3.9 MB/s read and write.  My test machine is a 486DX4/100, so it
sounds like a Pentium was used in your benchmark.

> As I understand some of the NFS protocol issues, you probably won't see
> more than ~2MB/sec read from a single process anyway, so you'd have to use
> multiple IOZones or whatever other benchmark you use to break that barrier.

    I'd like to see how FreeBSD holds up in an environment where there
are 100+ users all trying to read/write to home directories that are
located on a central fileserver.
taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work ........ play --> taob@io.org